Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. What made us laugh or cry this week #2?

A brand new Friday Feature on Deb’s World

Winners and Losers of the week

In case you missed it last Friday, I’ve come up with the idea of a weekly roundup of ‘stuff’ I’ve taken note of during the week. I’m thinking articles, blogs, videos, memes, photos, podcasts, memories, news, funny, sad, weird…it could be anything! Please note this is a work in progress and I’m still not too sure where I’m going with it yet. But feel free to join in!

I think you’ll agree with all the dreadful things going on in the world, we could all do with some happy news, so I deliberately have shared far more winners than losers this week.

Winners & Losers #2

To NZ with love from Oz
To NZ with love from Oz
  • The horrific attack and needless deaths in New Zealand last week, have seen an outpouring of love for our neighbours across the ditch. This is one of the best images I’ve seen doing the rounds of the internet and sums it up perfectly. I refuse to watch any of the footage the gunmen shared and prefer to hear stories of the heroic people involved in helping others. A lovely gesture doing the rounds is to do a random act of kindness to dispel all the awful things happening. I love a random act of kindness!!

I promote peace and refuse to share terror.

• Jacinda Ardern – what an amazing leader! I just hope someone is taking care of her as she is giving so much to others at this dreadful time.
  • Sunflowers always make me smile. I love the big tall one – there’s always one in every group saying ‘look at me, look at me’, I’m the king of the castle!!! We passed by a field of these gorgeous flowers on our day of cycling last week and I just had to capture them.
Sunflowers - green and gold
Sunflowers always make me smile
  • Donna from Retirement Reflections left me a link last week in her comment on my post. Donna is one of the most supportive and encouraging bloggers and one day I will get to Canada to meet her in person. It’s a sweet little girl singing and makes you smile just watching her. Thanks so much Donna for being supportive and sharing what makes you happy.
  • I laughed out loud at this video from ABC News online of Tim Whitrow who discovered a koala in his car and then tried to remove it. He did so with grace and dignity, without swearing or being aggressive in any way. It was just delightful after some of the horror news we’ve seen this week. I think I’ve manage to upload the video but if you go to the link I’ve included you can read the story and watch the video, I guarantee it will make you smile! Make sure you have the sound on so you can hear him talking to the koala. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-03-19/koala-enters-mans-car-at-vineyard-in-south-australia/10916092
A surprise guest in the backseat of the car! Source
  • This poem was featured in WordPress Discover, it really appealed to me. I have copied it here and this is the link to the blog it originated from Source

As we grow old

the ground we walk on

rises up

so that, as each of those few moments

left to us pass by

and we grow old

and hair turns greyer still

we move a bit more slowly.

At such a speed,

we can see around us

more of life today

and feel we understand

the present

more,

for we have lived

among the weeds and trees,

from which it came.

And we have much

we want

and need

to say.

But, sometimes,

no one asks

Mizana Gheezhik (Sen. Murray Sinclair)
My sister Sharon
  • Egg Boy – you can decide if he’s a winner or a loser! #eggboy
  • It was International Day of Happiness on March 20 – what did you do to make yourself or someone else happy? I had a fabulous massage and spread the love and joy on Facebook and Twitter. Apparently the top 10 happiest countries of 2018 were: Finland, Norway, Denmark, Iceland, Switzerland, Netherlands, Canada, New Zealand, Sweden and Australia!!
beach smiley face at Vincentia
beach smiley face
  • Awful words written and said by some Australian politicians. They should know better and lead by example instead of inciting hate and despair.
  • Parents paying/bribing to have their children’s results improved so they can get into prestigious colleges. Who is this helping? Parenting has certainly changed when this sort of action is seen to be ‘helping’ your child – to my mind it is setting the child up for complete failure and putting far too much pressure on them – not to mention it’s plain old wrong!
  • This is my new mantra 🙂 What do you think?
Just be yourself
Just be yourself

So that’s week #2 of my new Friday Feature done and dusted. I wanted to have more winners than losers and I’ve succeeded in that quest! If you missed Week #1 you can find it here – Winners and Losers Week #1

What made you winners/losers list this week? Let me know if you have any suggestions for me!

You can find all my Winners and Loser posts here – Winners and Losers

Have a lovely week ahead!

Talk soon

Visit Deb’s World’s Instagram for photo updates

You can also find Deb’s World here – stay in touch by clicking any of these buttons.

TwitterInstagramPinterestFacebook,  Flipboard and Mix

You can Contact me here

One thought on “Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. What made us laugh or cry this week #2?

1. March 22, 2019 at 9:49 am

Winners were my parents visiting, a good observation, and seeing communities come together in NZ.
    Losers were the Pet insurance people trying to fleece us and not being able to find glow in the dark Stars for a school play area!

• March 22, 2019 at 7:21 pm

Thanks for sharing your winner and losers Ritu. I always love hearing about what’s happening with you and your family 🙂 Pet insurers sound like the pits!!

2. March 22, 2019 at 10:21 am

That video of the koala made me laugh out loud! Thank you for sharing it. Best wishes to your sister… I know she will be feeling better soon.

Liked by 2 people

• March 22, 2019 at 7:23 pm

I laughed out loud too Janis, it was so good to watch the video. I’m with my sister now and she’s doing well.

3. Deb
    March 22, 2019 at 7:25 pm

Sending every good wish to your sister as she reaches that final hurdle – she’ll be so happy to have you with her.
    The news from NZ sent shock waves all round the world, and I think everyone is in awe of how Jacinda Arden has responded to the tragedy.
    Love that new mantra of yours!

• March 22, 2019 at 7:29 pm

Thanks Deb for your visit and kind words for my sister. Yes NZ was such awful news and I’m so impressed with Jacinda Arden for how she’s been handling it. The mantra is just perfect in my eyes 🙂 Enjoy your weekend.

4. March 22, 2019 at 8:45 pm

This is a great idea for a series Deb. I look forward to many more of these Pista. Thanks for the koala video. I gadnt seen it and it made me smile.

• March 22, 2019 at 9:04 pm

Glad you enjoyed my post Jennifer and the koala video is so good isn’t it? It made me laugh too. Thanks for stopping by!

5. March 22, 2019 at 10:23 pm

I like this idea and loved that naughty koala. Best wishes to your sister – she’s fortunate she has people looking after her. Low: our political leaders (that’s every week): High: picking up the 2 year old from childcare today who was bursting with excitement and kept giving me hugs!

• March 22, 2019 at 10:30 pm

Thanks Chris, it’s fun collecting bits and pieces each week. My sister is going ok thankfully. I agree with your lows, every week it seems!!

I love the excitement of your 2 year old, such a great age. Thanks for sharing too.

6. Nancy
    March 23, 2019 at 8:50 am

Hi Deb,
    Great winners and losers…
    here are mine-
    winners – the amazing folks at U of Michigan University Hospital and Medical Center…they are rock stars and have given my dearest brother the rest of his life.
    losers – the US Congress, both sides of the aisle.

• March 24, 2019 at 9:40 am

Hi Nancy, good news re medical staff and your brother and yes I think most politicians are on the losing side at the moment! Enjoy your week.

7. March 23, 2019 at 3:17 pm

Hi, Deb – Thank you so much for the shout out. I LOVE your confidence that we will meet in person one day soon. You’re room at our place is ready! Sending warm thoughts and prayers to your sister, Sharon.

Liked by 2 people

• March 24, 2019 at 9:38 am

Thank you Donna for being so supportive! We will meet up and of course you’re always welcome for a visit down under too. I’m with Sharon now and we’re going OK 🙂

8. Dee | Grammy's Grid
    March 26, 2019 at 10:16 pm

Sunflowers always make me smile too! Prayers and blessings for your sister ♥

• March 29, 2019 at 6:58 pm

Thanks Dee, she’s feeling better bit by bit and it was lovely to spend time with her and help out.

9. March 27, 2019 at 7:06 am

Love this Deb, so much. Like you I prefer to focus on the good news in the world, and there really is plenty. And so many wonderful people, like the NZ PM, she’s truly amazing. Continual best wishes to your sister Deb. Have a fabulous happy week ahead. xx 😊

• March 29, 2019 at 7:00 pm

Hi Miriam, I’m now home after a week in Melbourne and thankfully Sharon continues to improve slowly. the world needs more good news stories, that’s for sure! Thanks for your comment 🙂

10. March 27, 2019 at 8:41 am

Eggboy – we all thought ‘well, you did the wrong thing, but secretly, good on you!’ Ha! My winner is the quote in one of this morning’s blogs, ‘You can’t take a guilt trip if you don’t accept the ticket’ (on Cresting the Hill) & I’m on an Alle Farben craze – such happy music.#MLSTL

• March 29, 2019 at 7:01 pm

I love that quote too Lydia and I love Leanne’s blog. I’ll have to look up Alle Farben – I’ll check it out and let you know. I’m all for happy anything 🙂

11. Min Write of the Middle
    March 27, 2019 at 11:18 am

I love this winners and losers idea Deb! Thoroughly enjoyed the Koala video LOL All the very best to your sister! What a relief it will be when treatment is over. Enjoy your visit with her! xo

• March 29, 2019 at 7:28 pm

Hi Min, I’m glad you enjoyed this post too. I love the koala video, it was so Aussie! My sister is going OK, and I enjoyed my time with her. Now home again – thanks so much for your visit and comment.

12. March 27, 2019 at 12:47 pm

A great collection of different ups and downs Deb – the NZ shootings were a terrible time for everyone and Jacinta certainly stepped up. I think it was also a little bit sad that what she did had such a big impact due to the fact that a lot of leaders don’t make much of an effort at all. Wouldn’t it be lovely to see all the world leaders standing strong and condemning any act of violence – in schools, churches, mosques, and war zones that never seem to achieve anything other than death and sadness.
    Loved your mantra – Mandy Hale says a lot of great things (along with Steve Maraboli – another great favourite of mine for meaningful quotes).
    Thanks for linking up with us at MLSTL and I’ve shared on my SM 🙂

• March 29, 2019 at 7:26 pm

I agree Leanne, it would be great if all leaders made more of an effort to be more ‘human’. I like Mandy’s and Steve’s quotes too. Thanks for sharing and enjoy the week ahead.

13. March 27, 2019 at 4:59 pm

Hi Deb – It is a very good idea to take note of both the positives and the not so positives that are around us. The New Zealand incident was terrible. But the way prime minister Jacinda responded to it was admirable. The koala in the car video was absolutely nice.
    #MLSTL visitor. Shared the post on my social media.
    – Pradeep

• March 29, 2019 at 6:57 pm

Thank you Pradeep, it’s lovely to have you join in. Thanks also for sharing my post, it’s much appreciated 🙂 . Enjoy the week ahead.

14. jo
    March 27, 2019 at 5:09 pm

An interesting and entertaining selection of life’s ups and downs and contemporary news items – well done Deb, going to enjoy this series. I laughed at the Koala video, more laughs please, and nodded my head along to many of your observations. Yes, what a pointless and heartless and awful tragedy in New Zealand – just heartbreaking and senseless. Oh and a wry smile from me at egg-man. Good and bad, I guess. #MLSTL and Shared on SM x

• March 29, 2019 at 6:56 pm

Thanks Jo, I’m enjoying collating things during the week. I loved the koala video too and I agree we need more laughs at the moment. Great to have you join in 🙂

15. March 27, 2019 at 9:33 pm

I absolutely love that video of the koala, just what I needed this week. My heart goes out to New Zealand and I’m glad to see that they showed what action looks like instead of just “thoughts and prayers,” which is (sadly, all too often, these days) thrown around when this happens in the states. And I’m sending virtual hugs and strength for your sister and for you while you go support her! Love your new Friday round-up.

• March 28, 2019 at 9:48 am

Thanks Jennifer, it was a lovely video and I laughed out loud!! Thanks also for your positive thoughts to my sister, it’s much appreciated. So glad you’re enjoying the round up!! I’ll be here again on Friday 🙂

16. Agnes Knowles
    March 28, 2019 at 2:14 am

Loved the koala video – he really did maintain his cool! and Best wishes to your whole family as your sister winds up her treatments – a big hurdle behind her.
    There are so many winners in this world, I get frustrated that the press gives so much space to the losers.

• March 28, 2019 at 9:46 am

That’s great Agnes, the koala video was too good not to share!! Thanks for your good wishes for my sister, she’s going well despite some awful side effects. I totally agree, far too much airplay gets given to the awful things that happen.

17. March 28, 2019 at 9:09 am

Those beautiful sunflowers definitely made me smile. I love the idea of noticing all the good things in the world each week. Sending virtual support to your sister, tell her to hang in there! Better days are ahead!

• March 29, 2019 at 9:44 am

Thanks Michele, every day she is slowly improving. I’m glad you’re a fan of sunflowers too, they’re just so happy.

18. March 28, 2019 at 9:36 am

Hi Deb, I’m loving this idea and yes isn’t Jacinda Aderne a wonderful role model for women of all ages? There has been such tragedy for our Kiwi friends but unfortunately life will go on. We can only condemn the actions and live by example showing friendship to all. I love the sunflowers which always make me happy and the best win of all is that Sharon has finished her breast cancer treatment. Thanks so much for sharing at #MLSTL and I’m actually catching up with Donna when we visit Vancouver Island in September. Have a great week! xx

• March 28, 2019 at 9:44 am

Thanks for your good thoughts Sue. I am so envious, in a happy way, that you can catch up with Donna!!! Can I come too???

19. March 28, 2019 at 1:28 pm

Debbie this is a great idea and I like winners more than the losers. lol The video with the koala in the car was shown on the news here in the USA. Bless your sister. My husbands biggest problem with his treatment is fatigue.

• March 29, 2019 at 9:43 am

Yes Victoria fatigue is a huge issue but thankfully she’s improving slowly. I loved the koala video too, so Australian!! Thanks for your visit to my world.

20. March 29, 2019 at 4:07 pm

A koala in your car would be an odd predicament, can’t say anything like that has happened to me. Have had the odd unwelcome bee or spider though.
    Jessica Arderne is a ray of goodness in a terribly violent world. We need more leaders like her.

• March 29, 2019 at 6:47 pm

Thanks for your visit Alicia. These types of situations are very trying but fun when captured like the koala was. I agree Jacinda has been a breath of fresh air around the world. Have a lovely weekend 🙂

21. March 29, 2019 at 7:23 pm

Wow, Deb! I love the news stories, poem, and quotes that you shared in this very positive and inspirational post! I’m looking forward to returning for more of this Friday feature, and plan on sharing this post to FB immediately!

• March 29, 2019 at 7:24 pm

You’re too kind Christina! It’s fun looking for things to share and ‘m enjoying the interaction immensely! Thanks so much 🙂

22. March 29, 2019 at 10:42 pm

I love the sunflowers, Deb! They’re just beautiful. Best wishes to your sister. I’m glad you are able to go spend some time with her. Winners this week for me–the beautiful spring weather, Ladies Night Out with a friend I haven’t seen in awhile, and my niece had a baby girl. Losers–just about anything I saw on the news. I love the idea of combatting all the incivility and violence with compassionate words and acts of kindness. Have a beautiful week! #MLSTL

• March 30, 2019 at 8:03 am

Thanks for sharing your winners and losers Christie. Your spring weather sounds delightful and new babies are always so welcome! I agree the news is not often a good news place. I’m happy to say I had a lovely week with my sister and she’s slowly improving. Have a great week ahead 🙂

23. March 31, 2019 at 8:53 am

I’d already shared this on FB and Twitter for #MLSTL even before I read it. It sounds like just what we need at this time. Now I’ve read it and just loved it. Gonna follow along. That’s for sure. Thanks Debbie! I agree with your choice of winners!!

• March 31, 2019 at 5:47 pm

I appreciate your comment and sharing Mary Lou. I agree, we need more of theses sorts of news items and reminders at the moment. Otherwise we might all go mad 😊

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )