Wattle is Australia’s floral emblem
You may know that Australia’s colours are green and gold, but do you know why?
Long associated with Australian sporting achievements, the national colours have strong environmental connections. Gold conjures images of Australia’s beaches, mineral wealth, grain harvests and the fleece of Australian wool. Green evokes the forests, eucalyptus trees and pastures of the Australian landscape.
Green and gold are also the colours of Australia’s national floral emblem – the golden wattle.Source
When flowering, the wattle is both green and gold – and apparently it’s a symbol of unity.
Over the years I’ve taken a few photos of wattle flowers as they are so pretty. I love the starburst look of them. Here are some of my favourites:
We actually have a day called Wattle Day – the first of September each year since 1992 has been officially celebrated as Wattle Day.
- Wattle is our national floral emblem. It is a symbol that comes directly from our land;
- Wattle is Australian and represents us all. Unlike other national days, National Wattle Day excludes no one;
- Like our people, wattle has great diversity (with more than 1,000 species) and resilience;
- Wattle welcomes in the spring and is among the first plants to regenerate after fire, reminding us of the importance of renewal as it paints our national colours across our land; and
- Wattle is a unifying symbol for all Australians. There is no other symbol that says so much about us and our land, Australia.
- Wattle is a symbol of Australia and Australians.
Many of our national sporting teams don the green and gold when they play for Australia, so if you didn’t know why, now you do 🙂
I hope you have learnt something about the source of Australia’s ‘green and gold’ and our floral symbol – the wattle!
I love nothing more than spotting the first wattles flowering in the bush, they are such a happy colour! Are you a fan?
What’s your country’s national flower/symbol?
You can also find Deb’s World in lots of other places – stay in touch by clicking any of the buttons below.