Tour Guide – the Tumbarumba express tour starts now! Are you on board?

Today I’m your Tumbarumba Tour Guide – are you ready  to join the tour?

Maybe you haven’t heard of Tumbarumba before, but I’m about to share some of my favourite photos so you’ll get an idea of why I love living here.

A photo tour of Tumbarumba

Tumbarumba is halfway between Sydney and Melbourne in NSW Australia.  It is a small rural town, home to approximately 2000 people.

What’s in a name?

The first European settlers adopted the Aboriginal name, Tumbarumba, meaning ‘hollow sounding hills’ and preserved it on the first maps of the district, identifying Tumbarumba Mountain well before the existence of a town.  This town nestles between two ranges, an ancient volcanic basalt remnant with its own ‘Sounding Ground’ to the west and to the east the granite rise of Mount Tumbarumba, it too with its very own distinctive echoing ground to be found just below the summit on the northern ridgeline. Source: Sounding the Ground Nineteenth century journeys to Tumbarumba and the South East by Ron and Catherine Frew

Home

Tumbarumba has been home to my family for over 27 years now but I’m still not considered a local!  It is nestled under Tumbarumba Hill (or mountain) and I’m fortunate to have this view of it from my front verandah.  On nights with a full moon there is nothing better than watching it appear over the hill and sunrise and sunset are just as magnificent.

Trees

When we were told we’d been posted to Tumbarumba I remember ringing my aunt who lived nearby and asking her about the place.  Her answer was quite cryptic and included the phrase, there’s lots of trees there! I think it was a case of what she wasn’t saying. Yes, we have lots of trees in Tumbarumba – gum trees, pine trees and deciduous trees – it is a photographers’ paradise in Autumn with the leaves changing colours.

Water

We have lots of creeks, a man made lake and a beautiful waterfall. The mighty Murray River isn’t far away from Tumbarumba – all popular spots for camping, fishing, canoeing and swimming.

Wine anyone?

Our area is well known for its cool climate vineyards producing award winning wine, not to mention gorgeous views of vineyards on our doorstep.  Blueberries are also grown in the area and bring a lot of visitors to town to pick the fruit over summer.

Mountains

Mt Kosciuszko (Australia’s highest peak) is within sight of our town and the snow capped Main Range is a popular draw-card for visitors throughout the year. Skiing, cycling and hiking are all fun activities. We are quite high with an altitude of 645metres above sea level and we sometimes get snow falls in winter.

What do you love about where you live?

In this week’s photo challenge Krista asks us to share photos:  ‘What do you love about where you live? Share with us an image, or two, or three, (or more!) of where you live. For bonus points, tell us what it is about the photo(s) that you love….

Looking at the photos I’ve selected I think I can safely say it’s all about the natural beauty of the area for me.

As you can see I couldn’t just stop at one photo, there’s just so much to love about where I live and I haven’t even mentioned the lifestyle, the people, the community, the weather, the activities……

I have enjoyed writing this post, sharing some of my favourite photos of where I live and I hope you have enjoyed it too.  Let me know your thoughts by leaving a comment, I’d love to hear what you love about where you live too. Small town living isn’t for everyone but I’m happy to say it is for me!

As Dorothy says – there’s no place like home!

Just a heads up – we have our annual Tumbafest happening shortly and if you’re in the area let me know 🙂

Deb xx

You can also find Deb’s World here – let’s stay in touch!

TwitterInstagramPinterestStumbleUponG+Facebook and Flipboard

One thought on “Tour Guide – the Tumbarumba express tour starts now! Are you on board?

1. February 11, 2018 at 3:59 pm

Wonderful post Deb and I can totally understand why you love living there. It’s a beautiful area.

2. February 11, 2018 at 6:13 pm

Hi Deb,
    It does look like a lovely I have enjoyed when you have shared other photos of the views around the town. So are any of your daughters considered locals because they were born in the town? Louise

• February 11, 2018 at 9:08 pm

Hi Louise, it’s a great little place but no the girls aren’t locals either. They were all born in Newcastle and the youngest was 2 when we moved here. You’re welcome to come for a visit anytime 😊

3. February 11, 2018 at 8:08 pm

I love Australia and your town looks so lovely. Also, wine 👍🏻

4. February 11, 2018 at 9:16 pm

I can see why you love living here. It is incredibly beautiful and unspoilt. 🌼

• February 12, 2018 at 9:26 am

Thanks Brigid, you’re right as it is unspoilt and a lovely place to live. I’m very lucky 🙂

5. February 11, 2018 at 9:17 pm

It certainly shows how passionate you are about this special place. Xx

6. February 12, 2018 at 1:16 am

Give me trees and a splash of water preferably near an ocean and I am a very happy camper 🙂 Lovely place and one worth a visit or two!

• February 12, 2018 at 9:23 am

Thanks Suz, you’re always welcome to visit any time! I might be looking for a house-sitter one day soon 🙂

7. February 12, 2018 at 5:48 am

What a beautiful place. Thanks for sharing it.

• February 12, 2018 at 9:22 am

It’s my pleasure to share my lovley town – thanks for visiting with me 🙂

8. February 12, 2018 at 8:31 am

Very beautiful Deb. But 27 years and still not a “local” in your own home? Wow.

• February 12, 2018 at 9:21 am

Not yet! Apparently it’s a case of when the last person who remembers you moving to town dies, then you’re considered a local!! Thanks for visiting 🙂

9. February 12, 2018 at 4:03 pm

Great part of the world Deb heading up that way first week of March

10. February 15, 2018 at 3:36 am

What a wonderful place, Deb. You’ve captured some great scenery. The thought of fruit picking (and then tasting the wine) during the summer sounds fabulous. I’d probably end up eating a lot of those blueberries, though. Still, they are good for you. On the map, Canberra looks close. How long does it take to get to Canberra from Tumbarumba?

• February 15, 2018 at 10:07 pm

Thanks Hugh, it’s great to have you visit Tumbarumba. The summer months are fun with so many people from all over the world in town. Haha, We all went through the eating blueberries as we picked them but soon realised it wasn’t too good an idea. We didn’t get paid as much and your tummy can only take so many of them before rebelling. Canberra is just under 3 hours drive away from us. Thanks again, feel free to drop in if you’re ever in the area. 😊

• February 15, 2018 at 10:43 pm

If ever I find myself in your part of the world, I’ll be sure to stop by for a cup of tea or maybe the odd glass of wine, Deb. Have you visited Canberra? We don’t hear much about it, so I’m guessing it’s not really a place that tourist visit?

• February 15, 2018 at 10:51 pm

Yes Canberra is a must see place to visit! My daughter lives there and we visit regularly. It’s got a bit of a boring reputation as it’s the capital of the country and very political but it’s also a lovely place to visit to cycle, shop, walk….

11. February 15, 2018 at 12:14 pm

What a beautiful place and town name, Deb. Thanks for sharing. I hope to visit Australia in 2019.

• February 15, 2018 at 10:02 pm

Thanks Natalie, it is a great little town. May not be on your tourist trail but you’re always welcome to visit.

12. February 17, 2018 at 8:20 pm

I Love the Aboriginal names of places… tgey sound magical and roll off the tongue smoothly! The photos make me want to go there now!

• February 17, 2018 at 8:45 pm

Thanks so much Ritu, it is very true that the names roll off the tongue nicely. You’re very welcome to visit here anytime!!

13. February 17, 2018 at 8:49 pm

What a beautiful place to live! Surrounded by nature and trees and water bodies!

As for me, I live in the busy, crowded city of Delhi. But I love the huge tree outside my house, and watching the many birds that come and sit on its branches through the day.

• February 17, 2018 at 8:54 pm

The tree outside your house sounds delightful! I enjoyed our visit to Delhi a few years ago but it was very different to where we live!! I’m glad you enjoyed my post and photos. Thanks for visiting 😊

14. February 17, 2018 at 8:54 pm

Is it just an illusion, but I always get the impression that a blue sky in Australia is bluer than anywhere else in the world!

• February 17, 2018 at 8:56 pm

I think you’re right about that blue sky Denzil, it’s pretty special. I love travelling the works but coming home is always a highlight. Thanks for visiting. 😊

15. February 17, 2018 at 8:59 pm

Stunning x I just love the word Tumbarumba too ❤
    I love a small town.

• February 17, 2018 at 9:04 pm

Many thanks for visiting our small town. It’s a great name isn’t it? There’s a famous poem with the line: Tumba-bloody-Rumba catching kanga-bloody-Roos. Only in Australia 😊

Liked by 2 people

16. February 17, 2018 at 10:10 pm

Looks great Debbie and what a fantastic name. 😀

17. February 17, 2018 at 10:13 pm

No I’ve never heard of Tumbarumba! But then again, I don’t know very much about Australia at all – too far away for me I’m afraid. And Littlebillabong Road……hahaha cute names! Fabulous photos you have. Plenty of hills and mountains. It reminds me a lot of where I live in the West of Ireland. What I love most about where I live is the mountains. We have a beautiful view of Mount Nephin and today it’s topped with snow. We’re only a few minutes drive from a wonderful beach too.

• February 17, 2018 at 10:35 pm

That sounds lovely Gloria! To have a snow topped mountain and a beach nearby would be bliss! We’re quite dry here at the moment sue to it being high summer! I’m so glad you dropped by for a visit 🙂

18. February 17, 2018 at 11:12 pm

Wow. Gorgeous photos and excellent tour. Perhaps one day!

• February 18, 2018 at 8:34 am

Yes, add it to your places to visit ‘one day’!! Thanks for your comment.

19. February 17, 2018 at 11:49 pm

The pictures are beautiful, the place looks awesome.
    Nice Post.

• February 18, 2018 at 8:33 am

Thank you Steffi, I appreciate your comment and for coming for a visit to Tumbarumba with me. It’s a beautiful place 😊

20. February 18, 2018 at 3:33 am

Oh, it looks absolutely beautiful there, stunning.

• February 18, 2018 at 8:29 am

Thanks Em, it’s a very special place 😊 I always love returning home after my travels.

21. February 25, 2018 at 5:32 pm

Wonderful to learn about such cool and historic places in Australia.

• February 26, 2018 at 10:35 am

I’m happy to hear you enjoyed visiting our little town.

22. March 3, 2018 at 8:07 am

I love the name Tumbarumba. I remember going there as a kid. My dad would say we’re going to “tumbar-bloody-rumba” I thought that was the best. #teamlovinlife

• Jo
      March 3, 2018 at 10:23 am

We used to say the same…still do. I have such fond memories of visiting Grandma & Poppa.

• March 3, 2018 at 10:40 pm

It’s a great name and I’m so glad you have happy memories of the town 😊

• March 3, 2018 at 10:46 pm

Yes Leanne, that’s a very common saying and my youngest daughter always got a great reaction when she said it at age 3!! I wrote a post about it years ago, in fact. So glad you have a connection 😊

23. Jo
    March 3, 2018 at 10:22 am

Oh I loved reading this. I’m working on some family history right now & my family first moved into the area sometime in the 1870s – and are still in Tumba. My Dad was born there, as was his father. Two of his brothers still live in town – as does my cousin who’s a hairdresser in town. I haven’t been back since Grandma’s funeral, but have plans to do so. Your pics are fab.

• March 3, 2018 at 10:42 pm

Thanks Jo, I love that you still have a connection to Tumbarumba! I’d love to meet you when you’re next in town.

24. March 7, 2018 at 9:40 pm

This place you call home, just took my breath away.. Wonderful… 🙂

25. March 14, 2018 at 6:54 am

Simply awesome and stunning! What a view. Great blog, will be back.😍😀

26. March 20, 2018 at 1:58 pm

I love learning about the history of a small town!! Your pictures are so beautiful and very Representative of your home.

• March 20, 2018 at 2:12 pm

Thanks Kaylee, it’s a beautiful little town and I love sharing it 😊

27. March 22, 2018 at 2:08 am

I always learn something new about this part of the world here!

• March 23, 2018 at 11:24 am

It’s so different in lots of ways but in a good way, I’m happy living here and that’s what matters most. 😊

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

w