It’s Monday again, so time for my Musings on a Monday post – I’ve enjoyed getting into the pattern of taking the time to muse/think/contemplate, call it what you will, on a Monday. I hope you can join me….
I have now been ‘retired’ for a few months and can honestly say I have not missed going to work at all. There I’ve said it! Surprise, surprise!
I do miss the social interactions with my co-workers but as my staff all finished with me (we were all made redundant together), there’s not much to miss, apart from the few special people I enjoyed talking to outside of our area.
What I don’t miss
I don’t miss the toxic environment, the mean, nasty people who love to gossip and make life hell. I don’t miss the demands of inmates (I worked in a correctional centre) and I don’t miss the never ending emails from head office staff who knew nothing about what we actually did! I don’t miss the ‘system’ that governed our workplace and I don’t miss the negativity and low morale. I sometimes wonder how I managed to work for 22 years in that environment.
My days now consist of a few main activities:
- I run or walk or ride my bike – I like to do this early in the day to get it done (I do have the odd meltdown though)
- I blog
- I read blogs
- I read books
- I attempt the daily crossword puzzle
- I do the essential housework
- I think of what to cook for dinner
- I shop only when absolutely necessary
- I wander around the garden admiring my husband’s handiwork
- I socialise with others or I stay home all day, it’s up to me
- I plan holidays, make bookings and surf the internet
- I try to learn new things, like using Pinterest – it’s often said as you age you need to learn a new language to keep your brain functioning, well I can assure you that trying to keep up to date with social media is just like learning a new language.
- I lie in the hammock – life’s tough you know!
- I smile….a lot
I am still finding it hard to imagine that life could be so good after such an awful few months leading up to my final day of work. I’m happy, relaxed, busy but not too hectic, interested, involved and free. I’m happy 🙂
I will be revisiting my retirement progress from time to time during the year so I can document my progress through the various stages as per my post in Girls just wanna have fun.
I haven’t had to answer the question ‘What do you do’ yet, so will look forward to that. I also haven’t had too many people ask me how I’m filling in my time, I think they know me well!
So in summary, life is good! It’s still early days and I know there will be ups and downs but for the moment I’m coping quite well. I’m very lucky to be in this position and am grateful, something I didn’t think I would ever say.
How’s life treating you?
Are you on Instagram? Check out Deb’s World here: Instagram for photo updates
You can also find Deb’s World here – let’s stay in touch!