Surprisingly there is a life after retirement – Musings on a Monday

Retirement update

It’s Monday again, so time for my Musings on a Monday post – I’ve enjoyed getting into the pattern of taking the time to muse/think/contemplate, call it what you will, on a Monday.  I hope you can join me….

I have now been ‘retired’ for a few months and can honestly say I have not missed going to work at all.  There I’ve said it!  Surprise, surprise!

I do miss the social interactions with my co-workers but as my staff all finished with me (we were all made redundant together), there’s not much to miss, apart from the few special people I enjoyed talking to outside of our area.

What I don’t miss:

I don’t miss the toxic environment, the mean, nasty people who love to gossip and make life hell.  I don’t miss the demands of inmates (I worked in a  correctional centre) and I don’t miss the never ending emails from head office staff who knew nothing about what we actually did!  I don’t miss the ‘system’ that governed our workplace and I don’t miss the negativity and low morale.  I sometimes wonder how I managed to work for 22 years in that environment.

Now:

My days now consist of a few main activities:

• I run or walk or ride my bike – I like to do this early in the day to get it done (I do have the odd meltdown though)
  • I blog
  • I read blogs
  • I read books
  • I attempt the daily crossword puzzle
  • I do the essential housework
  • I think of what to cook for dinner
  • I shop only when absolutely necessary
  • I wander around the garden admiring my husband’s handiwork
  • I socialise with others or I stay home all day, it’s up to me
  • I plan holidays, make bookings and surf the internet
  • I try to learn new things, like using Pinterest – it’s often said as you age you need to learn a new language to keep your brain functioning, well I can assure you that trying to keep up to date with social media is just like learning a new language.
  • I lie in the hammock – life’s tough you know!
  • I smile a lot

Life after retirement

I am still finding it hard to imagine that life could be so good after such an awful few months leading up to my final day of work.  I’m happy, relaxed, busy but not too hectic, interested, involved and free.  I’m happy 🙂

I will be revisiting my retirement progress from time to time during the year so I can document my progress through the various stages as per my post in Girls just wanna have fun.

I haven’t had to answer the question ‘What do you do’ yet, so will look forward to that.  I also haven’t had too many people ask me how I’m filling in my time, I think they know me well!

So in summary, life is good!  It’s still early days and I know there will be ups and downs but for the moment I’m coping quite well.  I’m very lucky to be in this position and am grateful, something I didn’t think I would ever say.

How’s life treating you?

March 2017

One thought on “Surprisingly there is a life after retirement – Musings on a Monday

1. March 6, 2017 at 10:36 pm

You sound so happy Deb. Keep enjoying … sounds like the best is right now and all in front of you. Wonderful!

2. March 6, 2017 at 10:37 pm

I’m not retired yet. I’m trying it on mentally (I’ll be 65 later this year). I love reading different stories of retirement.

• March 7, 2017 at 5:45 pm

Thanks Alana, it’s been a great time so far but my end of working life was pretty difficult a the time. I’m glad to have you here and look forward to hearing of your experiences when your time comes to retire.

3. mylifestorymyway
    March 6, 2017 at 11:53 pm

Glad you are enjoying retirement.. Most people don’t..
    Good luck..happy learning..happy travelling and enjoy a lot 🙂

• March 7, 2017 at 5:50 pm

Thanks for visiting 🙂 I fully intend to keep enjoying myself as much as I can! Along with learning, travelling and smiling 🙂

4. March 7, 2017 at 2:20 am

Ok, I’m officially jelly of your retirement! Sounds like you’re enjoying it. I can’t wait to get there myself. No regrets at all! 😉

• March 7, 2017 at 5:51 pm

Thanks for the comment Bren, no regrets at all and it’s something to look forward to if you can live the life you want. I’m fortunate in many ways and I know it, so I really appreciate my new lifestyle. Life is good 🙂

5. March 7, 2017 at 2:36 am

I have discovered that retirement, like most things in life, has to be worked at. It is an art form in itself and finding the perfect balance of idleness and a sense of purpose, socialising and the joy of ‘me’ time or ‘us’ time for hubby and I, a blend of learning new things and sharing what we already know with the grandchildren, of being too lazy to cook and choosing to eat out or suddenly having a baking marathon and filling the freezer – so much choice and we feel so fortunate to have our health and just enough money to do these things. Retirement is a blessing so keep on doing what works for you.

• March 7, 2017 at 6:00 pm

What a lovely, insightful comment! You have summed it up perfectly, s some days I’m a domestic goddess and others (like today) I’m a sloth. The choice is mine and I am lucky too to have the finances to do what I want when I want (as long as I don’t go too mad). It is a real blessing and I intend to make the most of our years together. Thanks again for commenting 🙂

6. March 7, 2017 at 3:23 am

Sounds like a wonderful life. I’m sure you deserve it💖 I’m looking forward to early retirement in 2019 🙂

• March 7, 2017 at 5:57 pm

That’s not too long away for you. I didn’t have any time in planning as it was a result of a redundancy, so I wish you well with getting ready to retire. It is a wonderful life and I’m sure you’ll enjoy it too. Thanks for your comment. 🙂

7. March 7, 2017 at 5:16 am

So glad you have joined the club of happy retirees.

• March 7, 2017 at 5:55 pm

Yes Anabel, I have indeed joined you all. It’s hard to take the smile off my face some days 🙂 Hope all is well with you.

8. March 7, 2017 at 5:34 am

I told you that you would enjoy life after work!

Liked by 2 people

• March 7, 2017 at 5:54 pm

Yes Andrew you did tell me that I would enjoy it, but I’m surprised at just how much I’m enjoying it all. Lovely to hear from you 🙂

9. March 7, 2017 at 6:43 am

I’m so glad you are enjoying retirement Deb, although I use the word almost tongue in cheek. You may not be in traditional employment, but it sounds like you are fully engaged with living.

• March 7, 2017 at 5:53 pm

Thanks Su, I think you are right with your comment 🙂 I’m not letting the grass grow under my feet and I feel fully engaged. 🙂

10. March 7, 2017 at 8:00 am

I have been retired for a year. I ease into it slowly, gradually reducing my hours for several years. Like you, I exercise in the morning. This time of year, I walk to the gym, workout for an 1-2 hours, have a steam, and then walk home. That takes up most of the morning. When the weather improves, I’ll be out on the bikes more. And like you, I blog, read, plan trips, work around the house (sometimes), and socialize when I feel like it. I like it!

• March 7, 2017 at 8:05 am

Great to hear you also enjoy retirement! I find the days go by so quickly though, whereas when I was at work the day dragged on and on. I think my lead up to being forced to retire was so hard this new life is now just so delightful. Thanks for leaving me a comment, always great to hear from you. 😊

• March 7, 2017 at 8:15 am

I never thought of it like that. Time passes quickly, and I am never bored. The difference is that I do what I want, when I want, and don’t have a schedule imposed on me. I wish I had made the switch sooner.

Oh yeah, I like your idea of taking time on Monday to do some free thinking. I may join you.

• March 7, 2017 at 8:22 am

Great to have you along! I’m never bored either but do feel a bit self indulgent at times and it’s an unusual feeling. Have fun 😊

11. March 7, 2017 at 8:13 am

I especially like the last item on your list of what you do. I love my days off but can’t imagine every day being like that. What a huge change it must be. I’ll look forward to reading more.

• March 7, 2017 at 5:48 pm

It is really different to just having the odd day off now and again but in a good way. Having time to read more is great as is the time to comprehend and imbibe more information. Thanks for your comment, I love getting feedback 🙂

12. March 7, 2017 at 9:14 am

You really summed it up Deb. We know what you mean by what you don’t miss and can relate to the joys of being in somewhat control of each day and not having someone in the human chain to answer too. It gets better every day too.

13. March 7, 2017 at 9:40 am

Hi Debbie, I retired at 55 to spend more time with my husband (9 years older than I). I have to admit it was a culture shock after working full time all my adult life. It really was difficult for me to adjust. However, I started a blog and that really helped. I also mind my darling grandson one day a week and am involved with other activities. I love some of your ideas which I may borrow. In fact, I’ve just rediscovered crosswords myself! Enjoy your week!
    Sue from Sizzling Towards 60 & Beyond.

• March 7, 2017 at 5:37 pm

Thanks Sue, it’s been great to connect with you on various platforms, facebook, blogging, pinterest, Instagram. I love my blogging and it’s so good for me to be creative, although I started it while working full time it’s been such fun to get into it with more time available. Feel free to borrow any of my ideas, I love reading your posts and learn from them all the time. You are super generous. Enjoy the week ahead 🙂

14. March 7, 2017 at 9:58 am

I have loved retirement! I love doing whatever I want to do whenever I want to do it! If I want to have a supper of soup or ice cream, OK! If I want to stay up late and watch any movie I want until the wee hours of the morning, OK. I even gave up some church projects because it seemed if you were retired you MUST want to spend your time doing church work! On their schedule, NOT!!!! I’m retired, I don’t have or need a SCHEDULE. Next year my hubby retires…….Hmmm. I will have to adjust to his being here 24/7. Now he travels all the time, so no problem. I may have to go back to work! Ha Ha!

• March 7, 2017 at 5:34 pm

I’m so glad to hear that you are happy enjoying your retirement! I know exactly what you mean about no schedules, it’s liberating isn’t it 🙂 My husband finished work a few months before me so he was comfortable by the time I joined him. It’s working out really well and I’m sure you will manage too. All the best, lovely to have you along 🙂

15. Beth
    March 7, 2017 at 11:07 am

Retirement is, as another responder wrote, an art form. Like all art forms one needs to decide which medium; is it quiet of frenzy. the great thing about retirement is that we get to decide.

• March 7, 2017 at 5:31 pm

That’s it Beth – we get to decide. Today I decided I needed to rest after a busy morning run and massage so I’ve indulged in some hammock time. All good! Lovely to have you along – enjoy!

16. March 7, 2017 at 12:22 pm

You had me at HAMMOCK 😉

I’m new here, but already enjoy your blog. I’m looking forward to following (but probably not as much as you’re looking forward to the benefits of retirement)

• March 7, 2017 at 5:30 pm

Thanks Gabe! I’ve just had a session in the hammock and feel quite relaxed. I am looking forward to the future and enjoying the time with my husband 🙂

17. March 8, 2017 at 1:33 am

Deb – what a great list! It really sounds like you are embracing retirement and getting the hang of leisure time 🙂
    BTW – I think that your dedication to exercise is key. My non-scientific belief is that the sweat generated by exercise removes toxins from your body so that you can remain positive and optimistic! Which you are!

• March 9, 2017 at 1:11 pm

Thanks for the comment and encouragement Marian! I agree exercise is key for many reasons. I’m just about to go out for a run now actually!

18. March 8, 2017 at 1:48 am

Retirement agrees with you 🙂
    I think of it as a time of personal discovery and reinvention and it sounds like you’ve grasped that concept with all your heart. Keep up the good work 😉

• March 9, 2017 at 1:10 pm

Thanks Joanne, I’m grasping everything life offers at the moment and just enjoying it all:) Thanks for being with me.

19. March 8, 2017 at 9:50 am

Oh, Deb, do keep on keeping on! At the time, things seem bad but once through things are better! At least you don’t have your ‘toxic’ hassles to contend with any more!

• March 9, 2017 at 1:09 pm

Exactly Tom, I really didn’t know how toxic it all as until I left. I feel so much better now 🙂 Thanks for listening and responding!

• March 11, 2017 at 10:02 am

I don’t want to throw time away, but I’m looking forward to being away from that side of things as well. Until then, though, it’s business as usual…

20. March 8, 2017 at 3:23 pm

Your retired life sounds blissful! My first 8 months of retirement was a lot like yours. I blogged a lot and prepped my upcoming new classes. Two years later, I now keep my own schedule, even my teaching schedule is of my own making. I now teach 15 units a year, so much for retirement. Once my hubby retires in a few years, so will i.

• March 9, 2017 at 1:07 pm

Sounds good Terri! You obviously enjoy what you’re doing so why change?

21. March 8, 2017 at 10:26 pm

Good to hear, Deb. As you know, I took a different view on my upcoming retirement, but we’re now on the same path and enjoying what it has bought us. I keep myself very busy, In fact, I’ve no idea how I managed to do everything and work full time. Time seems to go much faster, but I’m enjoying every single second on this road.

• March 9, 2017 at 1:05 pm

That seems to be what people say Hugh, that time does go much faster and I agree now too. You’re an inspiration and I aim to follow your example by enjoying every second of the journey ahead 🙂

22. Donna
    March 9, 2017 at 7:50 am

Congratulations on your terrific start to retirement. I look forward to reading further reflections on this topic!

• March 9, 2017 at 1:01 pm

Thanks so much for the encouragement and support Donna 🙂

23. March 10, 2017 at 5:08 am

I love being retired. It has been 5 years now and I love it more every day. I am sure you will too.
    Thanks for sharing at Over The Moon Party,
    Bev

• March 10, 2017 at 8:54 am

Thanks for visiting Beverly. I’m happy to know that retirement gets better over the years. I’m glad to be involved in the Over the Moon party linkup, thanks for having me 🙂

24. March 10, 2017 at 12:47 pm

I retired seven years ago and I absolutely “loving it” more everyday. I was a librarian/professor/Director foe 25 years. I miss the interactions of a few of colleagues. I read books constantly because I never had time to do it. I visit and spoil my grandsons in Chicago when the weather is nice in the summer and fall. I “runaway” to the Florida Panhandle, as soon as the weather “thinks” about getting cold. I read, blog, and go to the beach to watch sunsets. My husband of 46 years relaxes, watching and curses out the tv, when a certain guy is on the news. I refuse to do so. I “Aquasize” twice a week and pray. It is important to thank God daily.

• March 12, 2017 at 3:26 pm

Thanks very much for sharing your retirement lifesyle with me, it’s always good to hear how others are going. I’m glad to read you are enjoying yourself and you sound very happy with how things are going!! Stay happy 🙂

25. March 16, 2017 at 7:09 pm

You sound idyllically happy! Yay for retirement! Not quite there yet, but I’m still doing what I love, so perhaps that will be my retirement! #teamlovinlife

• March 16, 2017 at 7:12 pm

Thanks Johanna, all is going well so far!

26. March 17, 2017 at 12:46 pm

Hi Debbie, I love the sound of your new life! It pretty much mirrors mine, except I don’t run! I like to walk or do Pilates/Yoga instead. One of my big hobbies is travelling and photography too. I still work part-time doing some freelance writing, but otherwise write my blog and keep fit and active. This morning I strolled down to Burleigh Point near where I live and watched the surfers on the towering waves, had coffee and then chatted with an acquaintance prior to strolling back home. I can do this every single day and that is what is so great about being retired. #TeamLovinLife

• March 17, 2017 at 4:58 pm

Thanks for your comment Kathy. It sounds like you have a lovely life too! My husband and I went to the movies at 11am today to see Lion – it seemed a bit decadent but hey why not? Glad to have connected.

27. March 18, 2017 at 7:59 am

I’m not sure I’ll ever retire. I love what I do too much. Perhaps there will be a semi-retirement scenario though. #TeamLovinLife

28. March 19, 2017 at 11:54 pm

I’m a fair way off retirement, but am sure that i’ll be spending it in kuch the same way as you are! Sounds fab! #lovinlifelinky

• March 22, 2017 at 5:40 pm

Thanks very much for visiting and leaving me a comment. Love meetig up with other bloggers 🙂 #lovinlifelinky

29. March 23, 2017 at 2:31 am

Mr Shoes is in law enforcement, as was my father — all aspects of essential services are misunderstood & under-appreciated by society. I, for one, sincerely Thank You for your service. I’m glad you are enjoying retirement, you certainly deserve it.
    Thank you for coming by the 4Shoes & hope to see you back again.

30. March 23, 2017 at 2:46 pm

There definitely is life after retirement 🙂 Thank you for sharing this post at the #WednesdayAIMLinkParty. I shared it on social media.

31. March 29, 2017 at 5:53 pm

Congrats Deb! Your post received 2nd Place for Most Clicks at the #WednesdayAIMLinkParty. See here: http://grammysgrid.com/wednesday-aim-link-party-10/

• March 29, 2017 at 5:58 pm

Oh my goodness!! That’s great to hear.

32. March 30, 2017 at 3:02 pm

A lovely post. I am far from retirement (unfortunately – I can think of loads of things I could do if I didn’t work). My parents live with me and are both retired. I am looking forward to reading about your thoughts and activities going forward.

• April 2, 2017 at 8:28 pm

Thanks very much for your lovely comment. I feel a bit guilty enjoying myself so much sometimes 🙂

33. April 6, 2017 at 10:39 am

I’m getting close to retirement and you have made me even more anxious. I love your routine and schedule. I think it would suit me just fine!

34. April 6, 2017 at 12:03 pm

I am preparing to launch a business at age 66, so that hammock sounds pretty darn good to me right about now!

35. April 7, 2017 at 2:46 am

The toxic work environment you mention is something I know too well. In my blog, I’ll often refer to is as “The Whispers”, these constant mean, negative, disparaging voices that I can’t block out as I’m simply trying to survive my 8 hours at the office…

• April 7, 2017 at 7:56 pm

The toxic workplace makes it unbearable some days, I’m so glad I’m out of it now. Good luck with your day to day!

36. April 7, 2017 at 10:40 am

My mum loves her retirement! (And I used to work with prisoners, but as a lawyer – they are certainly demanding!)

• April 7, 2017 at 7:51 pm

I’m so enjoying the freedom aspect. I’m glad your mum is enjoying herself too. I can imagine inmates are demanding on the other side of the fence too. It’s always interesting what careers people have had before motherhood! Thanks again.

37. May 28, 2017 at 12:29 pm

The end of my job was also very toxic and like you I don’t miss the work, do miss the workmates (who are still there which makes getting together difficult…). I am glad to be out of there but it was also a shock (though my decision) and so I’m still struggling with some anger around it all and haven’t started to enjoy the fact it’s over! arghhhh

• May 28, 2017 at 9:57 pm

I’n sorry to hear you also went through something similar. I hope you can start enjoying it all soon. It took me a while to work through the anger but I’m now on the other side and can see the many positives. Take it easy!

• May 29, 2017 at 11:26 am

Thanks Debbie. I thought I was ok then I’ll get a flashback and get angry again. I WANT to enjoy it all!! arghh. Was helpful reading your blog, thank you.

38. Ruth R
    October 8, 2017 at 5:15 am

OMG I just found your blog and when I read it I was amazed. Your story sounds exactly like mine! I too have just retired after a new company came in and systematically pushed us all out of jobs we held for 30 plus years. I too miss fellow coworkers and as I had an office job miss the “getting dressed up” aspect of work. But aside from that I have transitioned into retirement quite well and have a daily routine that sounds very similar to yours. Looking forward to following your blog all the way from Canada. 🙂

• October 8, 2017 at 5:30 am

That’s amazing Ruth! We seem to have a lot in common. I’m fortunate to have settled into it now and am enjoying life. I’m happy to hear you are settling into it too. Currently I’m in Fiji for our daughter’s wedding, so life is good 😊. Thanks for following along, it’s great to have you.