“Facts are stubborn things, but statistics are pliable.” Mark Twain
Thoughts of a Destination Wedding by the Mother of the Bride, was my most read post for 2017. Did you see it?
I’ll try not to make this one of those boring over the top posts highlighting a list of my top posts for 2017 but I can’t make any promises – it’s just something I always like to do at the start of the new year (along with almost every other blogger it seems) 🙂
2017 was a great year in my blogging world and the stats don’t lie!
Despite my concerns from this time last year, when I entered the world of retirement kicking and screaming, I must say I have actually thrived in my blogging world as well as real life! Isn’t it funny how things work out sometimes?
The stats don’t lie:
The number of people following my blog, liking and commenting on posts has exceeded my expectations this year with a massive jump from previous years! I’m talking a MASSIVE increase in all areas!!!!! I’m so thrilled.
Why the massive increase?
I think this is as a result of a combination of things:
- I’ve joined a few Facebook groups and these have increased my audience – especially the very generous Big Up Your Blog community who are all AWESOME bloggers!!
- I’ve started as a co-host of the Blogger’s Pit Stop which is a place for bloggers to share their posts and take time to visit and make comments. I’m engaging with any more bloggers about all sorts of topics.
- I’m interacting and engaging with many more bloggers than before and this has been reciprocated.
- I’ve participated as a guest on many blogs this year and have gained more interaction as a result. I love these connections!
- I’ve probably honed my posts to a more engaging audience – travel, retirement, midlife bloggers – and my more personal posts are always well received. I’m not here for the money folks!
- I’ve actually had more fun this year and I’ve relaxed into it due to not having to go to work anymore!
- I’ve made some great connections with similar bloggers and now consider them my friends.
- I’ve started having guest posts on my blog too and have enjoyed this immensely. Sharing the love around is great fun!
- I’ve made an effort to engage with various social media platforms and it is slowly starting to pay off, despite my trepidation in feeling like I am promoting myself. Does anyone else feel like this?
According to the stats my most viewed posts for 2017 were:
- Thoughts on a Destination Wedding from the Mother of the Bride proved to be very popular and was one of my personal favourites too. Maybe because it was all about my daughter’s wedding 🙂 and having my family together, a very happy event!
- Surprisingly there is a life after retirement also struck a chord with my readers! I’ve been very honest with my thoughts on retirement and I’ve enjoyed keeping track of my journey.
- Beautifully Dense was a surprise to me but I’m happy to have it reach big numbers. It’s a lovely part of Australia and a place everyone should see. This was in response to the Weekly Photo Challenge prompt.
- It’s a Dangerous World out there – another surprise. This was in response to the Weekly Photo Challenge prompt too.
- #Top 10 tips for Two weeks travelling in Tasmania was a fun wrap up post after a fabulous holiday to the Apple Isle.
- It’s all about me – my page where I tell all! I always look for a blogger’s ‘about me’ page when I visit for the first time, as it gives me a sense of who I’m talking to. Do you do this too?
- Remind me again why I’m doing this – a post about my running journey, it’s not all fun and games!
- Tumbafest – our little town’s annual music festival gets a review!
- How I made friends with Pinterest – I wrote this in response to issues I was having with Pinterest and finally engaged a helping hand. I must say I have an ongoing love/hate relationship with Pinterest.
- Layers of Life – this very personal post involves my parents and is one I’m very proud of. My father is slowly fading away and I wrote about the effects of his battle with Parkinson’s Disease on him and our family.
Again, my Weekly Photo Challenge posts have been popular throughout the year and I’ve also joined in with a new 52 week photography project. These are great for creative thinking and I’m learning new skills all the time. Lately I’ve gone from using my iPhone for my photos to using a real camera (shock horror) and I am actually enjoying the results.
Where are you?
This year the USA has topped the stats for views, followed by Australia, UK, Canada, India and NZ. I think that’s because I’ve joined a few Facebook groups this year and many of these bloggers are based in the US and UK. I love reading posts showing a different world view to mine.
Like every other blogger out there, it’s comments that make the world go round. Those who have commented the most during the year just happen to be some of my favourite bloggers – Donna, Miriam, Suzanne, Sue, Louise and Su – there are many more who regularly leave me comments and I really appreciate every one of you.
So in summary, in relation to my blogging world, I think 2017 has been about fun, weddings, family, travelling (a lot), taking photos and connecting with like minded souls. I can’t ask for much more than that 🙂
How has your blogging year been – good, bad or indifferent? Let me know, in the comments below, what your fave post was for the year and I’ll stop by and have a read.
Thanks again to everyone who has connected with me during the year. All the best for 2018, I hope you’ll stick with me!
You can also follow Deb’s World here – let’s stay in touch: