Remind me again why am I doing this?

Remind me again why I’m doing this?  Running I mean!

I haven’t written a post about just running since July last year but I have been running, on and off,  in the meantime.  The months after July were wet, miserable and cold.   I was also suffering from looking down the barrel of redundancy but I knew I had to keep active for my mental health.  I know I put on weight between May and December due to the work issues I was dealing with and I haven’t been able to shift any of it since. Looking back I wasn’t in a very good place.

Once I was retired in December 2016 I was able to put more effort and enthusiasm into my running and I have been building up again.  I have joined a few supportive Facebook groups, such as Running Mums Australia, the Couchpotatotofabfit community and an online group called Running Divas. I run on my own and have often said how much I’d like to be involved in a group and these are the closest I’ve come across to helping me feel in touch with others out there.

Since January I have been running 3 times a week with the days in between spent brisk walking or cycling. I think I am disciplined in my approach and ensure I get done what I have to. Yesterday I registered for two running events coming up in the next few months – the Mothers Day Classic in Canberra in May and Run Melbourne in July. I’ve enjoyed the quiet time running and walking, I’ve listened to music and felt OK about it all  – until today!

Today I had a training run to do of 5.6km – made up of 800 metres steady running then 400 metres slow (or walk).  I went out on my usual course in the forest, which is up and down on gravel roads, and I struggled big time.  At times I couldn’t even get through the 800 metre segments without slowing down to a walk. I finished my session and came home fuming on the inside at how bad I was at running, how slow I was and wondered again why I even try to do this.  I had a meltdown!  I sat down and wrote this post on the Running Divas Facebook page (obviously feeling very disheartened and sorry for myself):

This is hard to write….is there anyone out there who can’t run 5kms without needing to walk some of it, can only dream of getting sub 30 mins, doesn’t want to ever run a half marathon let alone a full one, who needs to lose a few kgs but can’t, who just needs some support to keep trying her hardest to stay running, gets lonely doing it on her own all the time??? Feeling a tad sorry for myself and embarrassed that I’ve admitted all this to you but I’m hoping there’s others like me out there.

Well since posting this comment I have been inundated with lovely strangers giving me friendly advice, picking me up, sending positive thoughts my way and admitting that they too have been where I am now.  I’m not alone with my feelings after all!

As a result I now feel better, more energised and ultimately more motivated.  I have a lot of work to do if I am to achieve my goals of running a sub 30 minute 5km.  But I’ll continue on.

Run

Where I run

I have also revisited my Running board on Pinterest which I use for interesting blogs and motivational quotes to keep me going. I found a few new ones today 🙂

Stop beating yourself up!

You are a work in progress which means you get there a little at a time, not all at once!

So to answer my own question – why do I do this running thing?

• It’s good for me to have a goal
  • I enjoy it.
  • I can do it!
  • I’m fit and healthy.
  • It’s free.
  • I’m lapping everyone who is sitting on the couch.
  • I have good strong legs.
  • I create positive energy when I run.
  • I use the running time for thinking and clearing my head.
  • It’s good for my mental health.
  • It brings me joy!

Legs

What about you, are you a runner or can you understand what I’m saying?  I’d love to hear your thoughts.  Feel free to tell me  I’m a whinger, whiner and should pull up my socks as I’m lucky to have the ability to run, especially at my age!

Feeling much happier now I’ve got that off my chest 🙂  Next time I have a meltdown I will revisit this post.

Deb xx

PS. Did you know I have a page devoted to my Running, you can check iy out here: About my Running

I have linked up with Runningonhappy.com to share my post.

One thought on “Remind me again why am I doing this?

1. March 5, 2017 at 7:29 pm

So glad to hear you found the motivasjon you lost! Keep up the good work, it sounds like your doing good.

• March 5, 2017 at 7:41 pm

Thanks for your comment, I’m doing ok (now). I’m my harshest critic 😊

• March 5, 2017 at 8:01 pm

We often are. That’s why we need to share so others can remind us we’re doing better than we think.

2. March 5, 2017 at 7:37 pm

Hi Deb, this just came up on my feed as I lounge in bed on Sunday morning. The hubby has just gone for his 12+ mile run and I should be moving! However it is chucking it down with rain outside and very windy and 6°C – that’s why I’m still in bed. Your post tho has shamed me into getting on out there. Which I will do….. in a minute!! At least you are making the effort, everyone has to start somewhere and build it up. I don’t wan’t to run any more half marathons, but my next 10k is in May so I have to build up to that which means getting up on a wet cold Sunday morning!! If you are back to running 3 times a week that’s brilliant from where you were. Keep going! It’s better than being a couch potato 😊🏃🏼‍♀️🏃‍♀️😁x

• March 5, 2017 at 7:40 pm

Thanks so much for your lovely comment. I am doing well considering where I was, so yes, I have to be happy with myself. I hope your run goes well and I will be channeling positive thoughts your way. Maybe the rain will stop for you. Good luck and thanks again 😊

• March 6, 2017 at 12:57 am

Thanks Deb, the sun did come out for my run. It was still v windy but still, I did it and didn’t get wet😊Now for a relaxing Sunday. Have a good week😀

• March 6, 2017 at 4:35 pm

That’s great to hear the sun came out for your run. Good on you for getting out there. Spring is on the way for you over there so it will start warming up soon hopefully!

3. Jo (Fallen Angel)
    March 5, 2017 at 8:29 pm

I think it’s good to reflect on why we do the things we do -it can help remind us why we started in the first place! I also need to practice more gratitude for being able to keep fit and having a body that allows me to do that 🙂

Liked by 3 people

• March 5, 2017 at 8:39 pm

Great comment! You are so right about being grateful that we can do so much with our bodies, regardless of our age. Thanks for visiting and commenting 🙂

• globalhousesitterX2
        March 5, 2017 at 11:07 pm

I also agree with Jo. You are doing really well Debbie. Some of the half marathons I did were won by 80 year olds. I was in total awe of them, amazing women.

• March 6, 2017 at 4:50 pm

Thanks so much for this! I am in awe of anyone who can do that 🙂

4. March 5, 2017 at 10:04 pm

Well done to you, I’ve had to stop running because of my Rheumatoid Arthritis, so I feel your pain when it comes to putting on weight. Although I can’t run, you have inspired me to get off my backside and do something! (something more strenuous than walking to the fridge)

• March 5, 2017 at 10:08 pm

I’m so glad to hear I’ve inspired you, that’s made my day 😊 I’ve followed your Rheumatoid Arthritis posts and really feel for you. Take care ❤️

5. March 5, 2017 at 10:17 pm

Good luck to you! I did the race for life a couple of years ago having never run before in my life and my own challenge was just to manage to run the entire 5k. I did it on the day and was thrilled…Keep going and keep your goals!

• March 6, 2017 at 4:46 pm

Well done on your run, you achieved something worthwhile! Thanks for leaving me a comment and for the support you’ve shown.

6. March 5, 2017 at 10:20 pm

Toughen up princess 😂

Liked by 3 people

7. March 5, 2017 at 11:01 pm

I love the online community, it’s so good to find out that you aren’t alone. I’ve only recently discovered Facebook groups in the last few months and I have loved being part of them. You go girl, such an inspiration to all of us. And that photo of where you run is spectacular!!

• March 6, 2017 at 4:49 pm

That’s great to hear Desley! I really enjoy the groups although it is all time consuming isn’t it? I don’t really think I’m an inspiration but I do appreciate your thoughtfulness in saying so. Isn’t it funny that I see this view every day and to me it’s just a view down the road but to others it’s something different and even special. I’m so glad you left me this comment to make me aware.

8. Anonymous
    March 5, 2017 at 11:45 pm

I used to run before I had to have a tumor removed from my leg. I was by no means a marathoner, but I did enjoy it so much. I’m so happy to read that you got your mojo back. Keep at it. Don’t worry if you have bad runs. A good one is always just around the corner.

• March 6, 2017 at 4:58 pm

Thanks for your comment, although I am sad to hear about your tumour. I hope all is going well. I am grateful for the fact I can run at all. Take care 🙂

9. March 6, 2017 at 12:16 am

I haven’t been running in months, but then again, Maine is covered in snow and it’s currently 8 degrees. Once the snow melts and the temps rise, I will be out there again!

• March 6, 2017 at 4:56 pm

Good for you! We will be heading into cooler temperatures here as you start to warm up. We don’t get that much snow though. Thanks for the comment, it’s much appreciated 🙂

10. March 6, 2017 at 12:29 am

I run 2-3 times a week, and I am super slow! I don’t even think about it. I mean, I’d love to be faster, but I figure if I am running 5 miles that’s pretty good no matter how long it takes. Keep it up, you rock!

• March 6, 2017 at 4:55 pm

You are doing really well and I am impressed! I am trying to improve my pace but maybe I should be just happy with the fact that I can actually run at all! In my mind we both rock!!

11. March 6, 2017 at 12:43 am

I’m not a runner, but I used to walk daily, and it was amazing how much better I felt. Thanks for reminding me! And kudos to you for taking such a potentially negative mindset, and turning it into inspiration, not only for yourself, but for others feeling the same way. Happy running!

• March 6, 2017 at 4:39 pm

Thanks Traci, its lovely to hear from you and I appreciate your encouragement. I like trying to turn negatives into positives and this one is no exception. Take care and keep up with the walking 🙂

12. angelanoelauthor
    March 6, 2017 at 12:46 am

Hi Deb, I LOVE running but have been plagued my injuries. If I’m not breaking a hip, I’m tearing a ligament. Yet, I continue to love it. But, I have days like you. Where it’s hard just to make one foot follow the other. I’m not planning to run a marathon ever, but I do so love the space in my brain that opens up when I run. I appreciate your reflection on yourself as a work in process. Sometimes I have to laugh at myself when I get too frustrated by what I view as a lack of progress. But, just like you say, I return to the thought: I do this for FUN! Happy Sunday!

• March 6, 2017 at 4:38 pm

It was lovely to read your comment Angela! I don’t like the breaking of hips or tearing of ligaments though! Hope all is going well for you. It’s a funny thing how running gets into our heads and we just have to continue on sometimes. I’m feeling much better now and think the reflection as to why I run did indeed help me out of my meltdown state.

13. March 6, 2017 at 1:42 am

Good for you! I’m not a runner but I do think about starting. I am afraid of going through the pain. Seriously. But I need some interval cardio to build up my fitness level and help me lose 10 pounds. Maybe biking would work better for me.

In any case, you are inspirational, Deb!

• March 6, 2017 at 4:34 pm

Hi Marian, there’s not much pain involved as long as you build up slowly! All the best if you decide to start running! I’m not that inspirational but I thank you for the support and encouragement.

14. March 6, 2017 at 1:58 am

Running is something we do that is very personal and can’t really be compared to anyone else’s feelings of can or can’t. Once we figure out why we are running we move to the next level. You answered the questions so well as to why. Isn’t it something though how all of us get to that point of asking why.

• March 6, 2017 at 4:33 pm

thanks for your comment, we all need to check in with ourselves every now and again! I’m feeling much better today 🙂

15. March 6, 2017 at 4:15 am

Bad runs are inevitable – even for elite athletes. It happens and is usually a sign that something is off – hydration, nutrition, sleep, recovery. The goal is to have them only in training and learn from them … not on race day 🙂

I’ve been on a hiatus from running for 3 years and just started to pick it up again after Christmas. It’s not been easy and I’m still walk-running on the treadmill because the great outdoors is just too cool to consider (-16C windchill today) … but I’m feeling pretty good about it. The chances that I’ll run a marathon again are virtually non-existent … hell, I don’t think even a half-marathon is a realistic goal. However, running is back in my life again and that’s all that matters.

Thanks for this post. It’s a great reminder of why those of us who lumber along ungracefully – like me – even bother to try running 🙂

• March 6, 2017 at 4:32 pm

I’m so glad to hear that running is back in your life Joanne and you are feeling good about it. I’m feeling much better today after my meltdown yesterday! I’m so glad you left me your comment so we can support each other as we lumber on 🙂

• March 6, 2017 at 10:31 pm

I need all the support I can get 🙂

Occasional meltdowns are therapeutic. We need to vent all that negative energy and get back in touch with what really matters 🙂

16. March 6, 2017 at 6:11 am

I know where you are at! I took my sofa out of my living room and put my treadmill in it’s place. I wanted to stop being a couch potato. I did really good, then someone at work said to me, you should put your sofa back, that treadmill doesn’t seem to be doing much for you. Mean people just seem to find me. Every 30 minutes I walk on it makes me feel good and it takes me away from being unhealthy. That is why we run!

• March 6, 2017 at 4:30 pm

That’s a very mean comment that person made to you, how awful of them!! You rock 🙂 We are being proactive about our health and I’m so glad you left me the comment 🙂

• March 7, 2017 at 11:08 am

I’m use to odd comments. People say things to me all the time. I guess it’s the friendly face or something.
        I don’t write about my treadmill on my blog but, maybe I should start and we can keep up on each other.

17. March 6, 2017 at 7:51 am

I’m not a runner (built for comfort rather than speed) but have always walked. Now I’m told that what was originally diagnosed as a torn miniscus in my knee is arthritis, and am now in the “feeling very sorry for myself” phase of my new reality. Your post has reminded me I need to grateful for the things I do have; so thanks, and keep running for as long as you enjoy it.

• March 6, 2017 at 4:28 pm

Oh dear, that’s not good to hear about your knee Su. Hope it’s not too painful for you. Yes we all need to be grateful for the things we have and for what we are able to do today. Thanks for your comment and support 🙂

• March 7, 2017 at 7:02 am

Thanks Debbie. In the big scheme of things it’s pretty minor, but I’m very aware of how much my daily life involves walking up and down stairs and on uneven ground. The plus is; it’s a very good reason to lose some weight. 🙂

18. March 6, 2017 at 9:13 am

I decided to start running a couple of years ago…bought all the gear, even started blogging about it (i think The Artful Jogger can still be found in the blogosphere somewhere). And then I actually went running. And i hated it. With a passion. So good for you, for sticking with it, for setting yourself goals and for talking yourself out of giving up!

• March 6, 2017 at 4:25 pm

LOL!! That’s a great story 🙂 Thanks for the vote of confidence.

19. March 6, 2017 at 10:01 am

Ahh Deb, even before my leg injury I couldn’t have run the length of myself, so the fact that you are out there doing it is credit enough to you. Stop being so hard on yourself, think of the effort it takes to even get the trainers on and go, well you did that and then some!

• March 6, 2017 at 12:52 pm

Thanks for the pep talk!! I feel much better today. 🏃😊

20. March 6, 2017 at 1:57 pm

I’m actually going to try running…once I find the courage. I can’t run to save my life honestly and I’m not sure if I’ll be able to but I want to challenge myself!

• March 6, 2017 at 4:24 pm

Good for you. All the best with your challenge 🙂 I really enjoy it most days!

21. March 6, 2017 at 5:46 pm

Nothing beats reaching out to others when you hit a slump. Glad you found your mojo again Debbie. Go girl, you can do it! 😊

22. March 7, 2017 at 7:42 pm

100% relate Debbie. A favourite saying I know is “own race own pace”. Glad to hear you’re out there doing it. Since I hurt my knee my pace has slowed dramatically but the joy of being back running overwhelms any bad feelings about the decrease in pace. Running is what matters 💛

23. March 7, 2017 at 9:28 pm

Great to see you link up at #OvertheMoon Debbie. I’ve pinned and shared!

• March 7, 2017 at 9:29 pm

Thanks very much Sue. I’ll stop by and have a look at posts tomorrow.

24. March 9, 2017 at 7:24 am

It is good to take stock and remember why we are doing the things we are doing. I use to run but I never seemed to get the enjoyment out of it that others do. So I have found other activities such as biking that work better for me. Glad you found what works for you. Best of luck on your running goals.

• March 9, 2017 at 1:03 pm

Lovely to hear your thoughts on this. I love biking too and try to get out whenever I can. Thanks for your kind wishes 🙂

25. Donna
    March 9, 2017 at 7:47 am

Great reflection and inspiring post, Debbie. You are doing very well – glad you got your motivation back!

• March 9, 2017 at 1:02 pm

Thanks, I have to keep going now and I’m happier with my running.

26. March 10, 2017 at 1:06 am

Good for you! Exercise goals can be the hardest, but getting support is a great way to make yourself stick with it. 🙂

• March 10, 2017 at 8:56 am

Yes Cathleen it’s a discipline I’m trying to stick to. Thanks for the comment.

27. April 1, 2017 at 8:32 pm

Good for you ❤️🏃🏼‍♀️. Running is hard some days, it’s all a state of mind. What I do when my mind keeps nagging me to stop is to stop for a few seconds. I then I say to my head … there you go I stopped so let me be and jog on 😃🏃🏼‍♀️

Running Brighton marathon next weekend, my first … and there will be lots of stopping involved that day 😁🏃🏼‍♀️🏃🏼‍♀️🏃🏼‍♀️

• April 1, 2017 at 9:51 pm

Wow, very impressed with your marathon effort, best of luck!! I talk to myself while running and tell myself to keep moving. It sometimes works 😊 thanks for your comment.

28. keepnupwithj
    May 4, 2017 at 6:43 am

Love this! Sometimes it can be hard to remember why we set out to do certain things, but having a strong community of people behind you can make all the difference. I’m training for my 1st Half Marathon now and I’m counting on leaning on people in my running community to get me through my journey to 13.1 as well. Happy Running! You’ve got this! 🙂

• June 7, 2017 at 11:25 am

Many thanks for commenting and support! Congrats on your plans and all the best 🙂

29. May 20, 2017 at 12:57 am

Great post. Very inspirational. Continue to work through it and keep running!

30. June 12, 2017 at 7:51 am

Keep it up! I’ve just started, so I will looking to fellow runners for motivation 🙂 x

• June 12, 2017 at 7:44 pm

Thank you!! It’s a good way to stay fit isn’t it? All the best to you as you start out.

31. June 14, 2017 at 12:30 am

I just recently started training for a half marathon and I completely understand this feeling- sometimes it’s so hard to get up and get going but it’s so worth it at the end!

• June 14, 2017 at 12:40 pm

Well said!! We just have to keep going, all the best for your training.

32. June 23, 2017 at 12:02 pm

Nice job pushin through! It really does happen to everyone, especially after long breaks cuz you still feel the same! One bright spot I try and remember is our bodies can get back into decent running shape much quicker than however much time we spent off! Like really 2-3 weeks, maybe a month tops. And that feels like eternity in the middle of it, but let’s say we hadn’t run for a year!? That’s pretty incredible! And I love your positive affirmations and such pretty surroundings!

• June 26, 2017 at 5:58 pm

Thanks for the encouragement to keep going. I’m working hard to stay positive and active as I age.

33. June 27, 2017 at 6:27 am

It was nice to read something I can 100% relate to you. I have been down that same road numerous times and I just keep putting one foot in front of the other. Your honesty and determination and drive is much appreciated.

• June 28, 2017 at 7:23 pm

Thank for your lovely comment Romy. I’m a big fan of putting one foot after the other. I’ll just keep lugging away. All the best for your journey too, I’m glad you can relate.

34. June 29, 2017 at 10:02 am

Running is so personal. We all start as beginners, and sometimes we relapse…but we’re never alone. There was a time when I could not run a 5K without several walk breaks….I think we all start there LOL I recently just finished my 7th marathon…and I still sometimes have doubts as to my own abilities. And I sometimes (momentarily) wonder why I run at all….but I have a huge group of cheerleaders to keep me company 😉 Stick with it and keep running 😉

• June 29, 2017 at 10:16 am

Thanks for your encouragement Kimberly. Although I’ve been running for a few years now I still feel like a beginner. Congrats on your successes and I agree running is very personal.

35. Rachel
    June 29, 2017 at 10:23 am

I’ve had many a terrible run where all I wanted to do was quit. But the next run is always so much better. We all have our ups and downs. I’m glad you’re still plugging away and making progress!

36. July 6, 2017 at 6:33 am

These are the kind of thoughts anyone who has tried running for a while can identify with; it’s very much a love-hate relationship at times. I liked the bit about trying to break a 3o minute 5k. That was my goal for ages!
    (It looks as if you have a beautiful route to run on though.)

• July 6, 2017 at 7:39 am

Thanks for understanding my dilemma, it is indeed a love hate relationship at times. I’m lucky to have such a beautiful area to run in, just out my back door. Did you manage under 30 mins? I’m not getting much closer to my goal but I keep trying!!

• July 7, 2017 at 6:14 am

I did manage to get a 5k in under 30 but it took me absolutely ages to get there – I’d say after a year or so of actually running!