A special Guest Blogger – my daughter wrote this for me, about me

My youngest daughter, Eliza, has written her first ever blog post!  We were together with family over the Christmas break and she presented me with a framed version of her post (below) for my recent birthday.  She also said she’d like to share it on my blog as she’d really like an ‘audience’.  She now has the awesome honour of being my first ever guest blogger

I think it is beautiful and I am humbled by her kind words and her thoughtfulness.  I smile every time I read it (usually through tears). I hope you enjoy reading it and thanks for giving Eliza an audience.

My mum has been blogging for quite a while now, I really enjoy reading her stories as it helps me get to know her better. It is also a special occasion as it’s my Mum’s birthday – I won’t give out the details of the age.  I am not the most eloquent of writers and I don’t have a wide audience but I thought I would give ‘blogging’ a go. Now due to my lack of audience this is what we call a private blog, one intended for my Mum and family.

The theme of my blog is ‘Debs’.

This is a classic Debbie smile photo!

This is a classic Debbie smile photo!

Debbie as she is known to many, Debs to a special few is a one of a kind person, she is very unique, kind spirited and she is my Mum.  I wanted to write this ‘blog’ as in most of my Mum’s stories she talks about her children, her husband, her parents and I really wanted to write about her as she is a very special person to me, my family and many of her friends. I have been told by several of my family members that I am very similar to my Mum, in looks and mannerisms. So now I get to write about how awesome she is (and me as we are quite similar). Mum describes herself as a hummingbird on speed and this kind of sums Mum up really well, she is a go getter and never really stops. She is the fittest person in the world having trekked the Kokoda Track, Nepal, cycled in Croatia and Paris – something my partner always says to me is that me and my sisters (Melanie and Sarah) are jealous of our Mum putting us to shame in the fitness area. She is funny – she really looks at the positive side of things, she snorts when she laughs, she is competitive, she always tries her hardest and this is the thing me and my sisters have inherited from her – always wanting to one up each other. We also inherited the ‘Debbie smile’ as you can see in the photo above- if my Mum sees a camera around she will continually smile just in case someone snaps a picture.

This time in my life is what I like best, I am getting to know my Mum as a person – not just a Mum. As like most people I turned into a brat during my teenage years and I just want to say sorry Mum, looking back on it, I just feel guilty and embarrassed. As we got over those awful few years, I have developed a friendship with Mum and it is something I really enjoy. I also phone her every few days while she is at work (well I don’t know if working a 3day week every week or having long lunches counts as work).

As me and Mum are quite similar I know the insecurities she has – lack of self-confidence and she can take things very personally. I just wish she would understand that anything anyone says negative about her, is not a reflection of her- it is a reflection of them and that they obviously don’t know her well.

I wrote this as I want my Mum to know how much I love her, and that I am thankful that I have her in my life and I couldn’t be more pleased to grow up to be the kind of person she is.

Happy Birthday Debs – I hope it’s a fantastic day!

Thanks Eliza – I loved it!  I have written a few blogs about Eliza….Tumba-bloody-Rumba and here we compared notes at age 25

One thought on “A special Guest Blogger – my daughter wrote this for me, about me

1. December 30, 2014 at 9:14 pm

That is so special! Lovely guest blogger, Deb 😀

Liked by 2 people

• December 30, 2014 at 10:35 pm

Thanks, I thought it was a lovely thing to do too! Very special.

2. December 31, 2014 at 11:30 am

It is a beautiful tribute! You have a wonderful daughter and a promissing blogger!
    Congratulations Eliza.
    Happy New Year to you and your family!

Liked by 2 people

• December 31, 2014 at 11:37 am

Thanks Lucile! I loved it and she was so proud of herself as well which was just as delightful. I’ll pass your comment onto Eliza, she’ll be thrilled!
      I must also thank you for all your interactions on my blog this year as you came in as one of my top commenters in my annual report. I appreciate the encouragement immensely 😊 happy new year to you and yours and happy blogging 🎉

• December 31, 2014 at 12:25 pm

You’re welcome, Debbie.
        You can be proud!
        And no need to thank me, as you have a wonderful blog that invites me to interact and comment. The merit is all yours! Looking forward to reading more!
        Thank you for all wishes; much appreciated!
        And let us all have a healthy, happy and peaceful 2015.
        Cheers to you and yours!
        🍸🎉

3. January 2, 2015 at 4:54 am

What a lovely lass 🙂 (I must mean both of you, mustn’t I? 🙂 )

Liked by 2 people

• January 2, 2015 at 8:47 am

Yes you must mean both of us! 😊Thanks for stopping by and commenting. I’m thrilled with her post as you can probably tell.

4. January 3, 2015 at 7:52 am

Hehe, a humming bird on speed. Excellent!

Liked by 2 people

• January 3, 2015 at 8:03 am

I know it sounds a bit mad doesn’t it? A work colleague coined that descriptive phrase about me and it has stuck. I can sit still but not for too long 😊

5. January 14, 2015 at 11:04 pm

Lovely. How proud of each other you are. We owe our parents so much and the chance to say something like your daughter has was so well used.
    🙂

• January 14, 2015 at 11:07 pm

Thanks for your thoughtful and kind comments. I love re-reading her post and never cease to smile at it. It means a lot to me and I’m so proud of her. Nice to have you on board 😊

6. February 16, 2015 at 12:08 pm

Lovely. This was just lovely. Happy belated birthday!

• February 16, 2015 at 5:09 pm

Thanks so much for the comment. Glad you liked it. It was a fantastic surprise from my daughter and made me all teary.

7. March 8, 2015 at 8:26 pm

How lovely is this? Brought a tear to my eye. Just gorgeous!

• March 8, 2015 at 8:27 pm

Thanks Desleyjane. It makes me tear up everyone I read it too. Glad you found it. She’s a beautiful girl and I’m a very lucky mother.

• March 8, 2015 at 8:39 pm

I was wandering about to check where you are based since I saw you are growing raspberries. I knew it couldn’t be QLD! 🙂 Yes, it’s a really lovely post. Is she still blogging? Or keeping it as a personal one?

8. March 8, 2015 at 9:45 pm

We are way down south in NSW, quite near the Victorian border and up quite high in the hills. She’s only done this post so far but who knows! One of my other daughters is blogging at http://www.debbiesdaughterphotography.wordpress.com

9. December 15, 2016 at 10:17 pm

Hi Deb! This letter is so hearwarming! Very touching! My mother also saves our sibling’s old letters. When she shares them with us, it feels so overwhelming! We think that in childhood, we don’t understand too many things, but when we read the words we wrote in our childhood days,now, we realize that our sentiments were always as profound as now, we also felt concerned with our parent’s worries in our tender hearts.. it was just that we knew only a few words to articulate them at that time. 🙂

10. dconnollyislandgmailcom
    January 7, 2017 at 5:55 pm

Absolutely beautiful!

• January 7, 2017 at 5:57 pm

Many thanks! I love it too and often go back and re-read it especially when I’m feeling a bit low 🙂

11. October 27, 2017 at 10:21 pm

What a great post. Well done!

• October 30, 2017 at 1:17 pm

Thanks for your comment, we both enjoyed the post 🙂