Announcing a brand new Friday feature on Deb’s World
Winners and Losers of the week
I often like to share things I see, so I came up with the idea of a weekly roundup of ‘stuff’ I’ve taken note of during the week. I’m thinking articles, blogs, videos, memes, photos, podcasts, memories, news, funny, sad, weird…it could be anything! Please note this is a work in progress and I’m still not too sure where I’m going with it yet.
If you’re like me, you see hundreds of things from a variety of sources throughout the week, and then can’t remember where it was you saw them. Or is it just me?????
I’m determined to try to make myself accountable and I’d love you to join me. Feel free to help me out by leaving a comment with your own winners and losers for the week and I’ll try to include them in future posts (keep them clean!!)
Week 1 Winners
- My new red ‘Wonder Woman’ reading glasses are a definite winner in my eyes!!!! 🙂
- Sue, my blogging buddy from Sizzling Towards 60 and Beyond, and another bloggy friend Leanne from Cresting the Hill, provide a weekly linkup called Midlife Share the Love, where midlife bloggers hang out and share their interesting posts, all with a midlife theme. It’s always an interesting, encouraging and supportive network of midlife bloggers. Anyone who blogs over the age of 45 is welcome to join in. We’re all winners here 🙂
- I’ve thoroughly enjoyed listening to a podcast ‘Who the Hell is Hamish’ from The Australian newspaper and researcher Greg Bearup. It’s a true story of deception, deceit and loss. It’s been great listening to the podcast while out on my daily walks, each episode is about 40 mins long and I get so engrossed in the story the time just passes so quickly. It’s painful listening though, hearing of the sheer evilness of the man and how he managed to con so many people – Hamish would definitely fit into my Loser of the week category.
- On International Women’s Day (IWD) I went out shopping on my own for the day, in the big smoke of Wagga Wagga. I bought a little something at the Body Shop and I was given a free gift for IWD, with a printed postcard poem called Let Your Light Shine by Montana Lower. The poem is lovely, as is the image of a sunflower on the card and I wanted to share it with you. The wording on the card states: ‘Shine’ highlights the enormous power of journaling and morning rituals. One of Montana’s poems, filled with self-acceptance and positivity, is peeled back on the pages of a journal to reveal a dream state of sunflowers, smiling as they burst through the pages and spread their light.
I am myself
I love me for me
there’s no one else
I’d rather be.
In all my colours
And my seasons
I deserve love
For lots of reasons.
I care for others
I am kind
I only share
on my mind.
And that’s enough
To not compare
And spread my light
- Another winner for the week was my father – he passed away in January 2018 and it would have been his 81st birthday during the week, just days after my sister’s birthday. I love this photo I found of my father and my sister in happier times and she was delighted when I sent it to her last year (and in tears too). My sister wrote a lovely piece on her blog last year, about the weekend we had together celebrating what would have been Dad’s 80th birthday. My sister is battling her own issues at the moment and she’s real winner to me in every way. Here’s her lovely post: The Consolation of Trees
- I just love this meme about telling a story and it has been very popular on my Facebook page, I just wish I knew where I found it! Does it resonate with you too? This is exactly how I tell a joke!
- Facebook and Instagram (and other platforms too apparently) went ‘down’ all over the world for hours and at the time of writing the issue hasn’t been resolved. At about the same time my TV reception was lost and now I’m starting to have conspiracy theory thoughts, as is most of Twitter! Is this the end??????
- My final winner for the week is SPONTANEITY – some good friends spoke to us over the weekend about a quick overnight trip to a nearby Rail Trail area. Within hours we’d decided to go later that week and are currently enjoying a lovely AirBnb, with good friends and we get to go bike riding in the fresh autumnal air (temps of 29C are not very autumnal I must say) and I just love that we are flexible enough to just go!
Week 1 Losers
- Anyone in the news lately on child sex offences – I don’t need to name them!
- NSW State Elections and the possible Federal Election in May – stop with the awful advertising already!!
- All the depressing news on TV and radio – show us the good news stories for goodness sake!
- Those who Shaved their Head for the World’s Greatest Shave for Leukaemia and blood cancer research this week – of course they’re really winners but they did lose their hair for a great cause! To me they’re the best sort of losers to have. My brother-in-law died tragically at the age of 55 due to Leukaemia.
- Mean and nasty people who make dreadful comments on social media – my mother always taught us that if we didn’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all.
- Phones – well, not all phones obviously. I occasionally work with school groups as an Outdoor Activity Leader and have been surprised (and annoyed) at the number of students who have phones clasped in their hot little hands – all the time! The teachers say they are often powerless to do anything due to the parents being the ones who want to stay in touch with their children. One student had her phone taken off her, only to tell the teacher the battery was flat – she said she felt better just holding it in her hand even though it was dead! That is a sad indictment on today’s use of phones. The ironic thing is that the activity I was in charge of was all about communication, and with their heads in their phones, I had to work hard at even getting their attention to tell them what fun activity they were going to be doing!!!!
OK so that’s week #1 of my new Friday Feature done and dusted. Let me know what you think and if you have any suggestions for me!
You can see all my Winner and Losers posts here – Winners and Losers
Visit Deb’s World’s Instagram for photo updates
You can also find Deb’s World here – stay in touch by clicking any of these buttons.