To travel is to live…..but what happens when the holiday ends?

The bells tolling at 6am have been replaced by birds singing outside our bedroom window. The villages we visited in the islands of Southern Dalmatia in Croatia, while on our Island Hopping cycle tour, all had a bell tower, or two, and we loved waking to the sound of them ringing.

Bells tolling

Bells tolling

The gentle autumn light has changed to full spring sunshine, with definite hints of summer’s warmth. The green of autumn is a different green to that of spring.  The misty rain in London is now a memory with a story attached.

Autumn light

Autumn light in London

The colours of autumn and fluttering leaves of Denmark have been replaced by spring colours, scents and rampant growth. The windy cold coast of southern Sweden and Denmark in autumn have been replaced with still, hot days, threatening thunderstorms and yet we miss the days we spent walking bent against the wind.

Autumn colours and historical ruins

The delicious breakfast spread waiting for us every morning on our boat, Kapetan Jure, with our new international friends to talk to, has been replaced by a quick bite of whatever can be found in the depleted cupboards, while listening to the local news before we run out the door to work. Likewise the amazing 2 course lunches and 3 course dinners – we are now fending for ourselves and my waistline thanks me for it but my taste buds miss the variety of food provided.

Castle grounds in Denmark

Castle grounds in Denmark

Active days of cycling around the beautiful islands of Croatia with the sparkling Adriatic Sea on our doorstep are now replaced with days sitting in an office, behind a desk with the main activity being walking to the printer or to another meeting.

Clear blue waters of the Adriatic Sea

Walking around historic sites, ruins, beaches, palaces, castle grounds, old cities and seaside villages has been changed to walking around the not so ancient pine forests and bush tracks in an attempt to regain my fitness.  Riding across Tower Bridge in London in peak hour traffic is like a dream – but I know I did it just last week.

View over Hvar

The many family and friends we visited made us feel so special and important,  now we are back to being our normal everyday selves.

Funnily enough I am missing living out of a suitcase with a limited selection of clothes each day.  I find I have too many options now that I’m home and keep looking for my favourite few items that got me through each day.  I wonder how long this will last?

We’ve been home a week now.  My body has adjusted to the different time zones and is back on track. I am pleased to have had my wonderful holiday and although I know it had to end, I wish it didn’t have to. I’m still confused at times.

Holidays and travel are wonderful interludes and I am not whining that it’s over. I am pointing out that what adventures I had on my holiday are so far removed from my everyday life that it feels like I have lived another life for the past month. I’m not one who misses my own bed or my shower when I’m away, and I know I have to go home at some stage – I appreciate the experiences and store them up in my memory with the help of my travel blog  and my photos.  I can then re-live the experiences any time I like.

To travel is to live and this is why we  travel – to experience different things, meet new people, do activities we rarely do, live outside our everyday routines,  see things through new eyes and live a different life for a short time.

Croatian Coast

Beautiful Croatian Coast

What to do once it’s all over?  I could fall into a deep PHD (post holiday depression) or I can go back to  my normal everyday life with a smile on my face and share my stories with anyone who will listen and start planning the next adventure!

I’m trying hard to follow my own advice!

One thought on “To travel is to live…..but what happens when the holiday ends?

1. October 27, 2014 at 2:52 am

OMG! Beautiful photos! And I enjoyed reading this entry, too. Totally agree about living a different kind of life when traveling. I get those separation anxiety sometimes. So much feels.

• October 27, 2014 at 9:04 pm

Thanks for your comment. Life certainly is different when on holidays. Happy that you liked my photos!

2. October 31, 2014 at 12:02 am

I get straight on to booking future travels. Keeps that PHD in check. 🙂

• November 1, 2014 at 3:02 pm

So true! Thanks for the visit. 😊

3. November 2, 2014 at 12:56 am

Welcome home! What an amazing trip.

I like the way you used your pics in this post 🙂

My travels are much shorter than yours, I have not been out of the states as of yet. ( It is a huge goal to be a world traveler.)

I live in Colorado at the foot of the Rocky Mountains. I remind myself that every year 10’s of thousands of people come to my state for a vacation. When I remember that it helps me to make my everyday life more like a vacation and fully experience what is around me every day. It’s funny to think but your everyday would be my “Wow, I’m in Australia!” moment 🙂

I love your philosophy about travel and wholeheartedly agree. Vacations and travel do give us the chance to live another life for a while and that enriches our everyday lives so much.

Thanks for sharing your travels 🙂

• November 2, 2014 at 8:12 am

Laura, you have made my day with your thoughtful and insightful comments. It was an amazing trip and I am so lucky! I take your point about wow moments, I plan to visit your area one day! Thanks again for reading and then taking the time to comment, it means a lot. 🙂

4. October 19, 2017 at 9:01 pm

That’s what holidays are for! So hard to get back to normal though after a fantastic holiday but I also feel rested and refreshed – maybe not physically but definitely mentally! My husband always says that the best thing to do after you come home from holiday is to start planning the next one! Your photos are amazing Debbie!

• October 19, 2017 at 9:06 pm

Thanks Gloria! It’s much different now that I’m retired and don’t have to return to work after such a big holiday. Lovely to have your comment.

5. October 19, 2017 at 10:09 pm

I currently have that “but last week I was…” feeling! Writing blogs and going through photos helps – as does planning the next trip!