Run, Debbie, run….

Today is Mother’s Day here in Australia and that means the annual Mother’s Day Classic. This is an event for walkers, runners, families, friends and people of all ages to come together in support of Breast Cancer research. Events are held all over Australia and usually include the colour pink in some form. My daughter & I entered our first run last year and really enjoyed it, so we decided to run in the 5km again this year.  There are thousands involved in each event across the country, all demonstrating their support for this great cause.

It should be noted that I haven’t run very much in recent weeks for one reason and another but I was still keen to do it. Sarah has been running more regularly so was in better shape and showed it by leaving me behind just after the first kilometre.  I managed to walk and run my way through the course around the lake in Canberra, in a pretty good time for me but it was about 2mins slower than last year.

I’m happy with my result considering I had to stop and retie my shoe lace half way around (not trying to make an excuse, just noting). Also the weather was quite windy and cold today which made it a bit tricky.  It was a fun way to spend the morning. I am aiming to run the 5km in under 30 minutes one day but for the moment I’m happy, as at least I’m out there giving it a crack!

I have had a lovely weekend celebrating  Mother’s day with one of my girls and have had messages from the other two who are out of the country.  I have been out shopping to buy some goodies, out for a delicious brunch, just hanging with S & B, and I did a 20km bike ride with my husband before a yummy dinner was cooked for me. I am spoilt!

I’d like to take this opportunity to wish every mother out there a happy day. Enjoy a day of doing whatever takes your fancy which in my case means that I am now sitting around relaxing in my Tardis (Doctor Who fan!) onesie, wearing my Mother’s Day Classic medal and reflecting on how lucky I am.

Happy Mother’s Day!

One thought on “Run, Debbie, run….

1. May 10, 2015 at 5:44 pm

Impressive in all counts, Debbie! Running and cycling in one day!
    You rock!
    It’s Mother’s day in continental Europe as well. So happy Mother’s Day!

• May 10, 2015 at 5:46 pm

Oh I didn’t know it was Mother’s Day there as well!! Happy Mother’s Day to you too. Thanks for the comment, I’m a very happy mother to be able to do all that I do 😊

2. May 10, 2015 at 6:12 pm

Deb, I think you have just about the best attitude towards running I have ever encountered in a person. Yes, it’s great to have goals, but it’s even better just to get out there and do it! Good on you!!

• May 10, 2015 at 6:29 pm

Thanks Jen, that means a lot to me! Happy Mother’s Day to you, I hope you were spoilt!

• May 10, 2015 at 6:45 pm

Thanks Debbie. I can honestly say that I received all that my heart desired this MD – some jammies and a sleep in! Not hard to guess where my priorities are at the moment!

3. May 10, 2015 at 8:27 pm

It’s Mother’s Day here in the States too! Happy Mother’s Day to you! Great job getting the 5K done. I used to run..and 30 min was my goal for a 5K too. I think maybe I did it one time…just. These days I’d be lucky to finish at all.

• May 10, 2015 at 10:00 pm

Thanks Dawn! Love your encouragement! Happy Mother’s Day to all the mums over there too.

4. May 11, 2015 at 3:44 pm

Good for you! What a great way to spend Mother’s Day. 🙂

5. May 12, 2015 at 8:25 pm

Go you!!! That’s wonderful. Very well done 🙂

• May 12, 2015 at 8:28 pm

Thanks! I will improve my time (eventually) but it’s just fun being involved in something social and all for a good cause.

• May 12, 2015 at 8:40 pm

Totally agree with you Debbie 🙂 it is all about being part of things and having a go. I do really love the whole grown up running thing of Personal Best…and of course a PB to me is the enjoyment factor and doing the best we can on the day 🙂 Fantastic run for a wonderful cause.

6. May 11, 2017 at 7:25 pm

I just want to say one word about that onesie… WOW 😀

7. May 12, 2017 at 12:51 am

That TARDIS onesie is everything I’ve ever wanted…. including “to be smaller on the outside”. You are officially winning at life right there 😉

8. May 12, 2017 at 4:52 am

Can’t believe you’ve been doing that race for so many years! Good luck again this year x