One foot in each camp!

feet

I have been trying to write this post all week, it’s been rattling around in my head, as things often do, until I can get it out.

I’ve been suffering withdrawals and have felt lost and all adrift since I stopped my every day is an adventure project at Day 100. I had been aiming to do a post every day for 365 days but pulled out at day 100 so I am feeling disappointed with myself on the one hand but on the other hand I’m pleased at not having the commitment to post every day.

Even though I  was good at scheduling posts ahead of time and loved the idea of my project, of finding an adventure in every day things, it all became a bit too hard.  I decided to pull out at day 100 instead of carrying on and ending up resenting the pressure I was putting on myself.  I don’t need it!

So I have one foot in each camp – as per my photo – I love blogging, I love the idea of blogging everyday and I love the feedback and support that I received while doing it. But I found that I was missing out on other things, like responding to other blogging challenges, regularly missing deadlines that I didn’t want to miss, blogging about other things just for a change and reading blogs just for the fun of it.  I have spent all week catching myself thinking of what to include in my daily posts before remembering that I’m no longer doing it.

I have enjoyed just watching the baby lambs gamboling around in the paddock, the family of ducks being shepherded across the road by the mother duck, the snow glinting on the mountains in the distance, the warm sun on my back, enjoying a cup of tea in the afternoon sun with my husband after a hard day at work, going to the gym in the early hours of the morning, planting flowers in my garden and reading my book.  All without having to capture these moments and share them on my blog.  I have learnt to take note of these small things, from doing my daily project, but I can also just enjoy them for their own sake and not have to blog about them.  I hope I’m making sense!! I’m happy to say that I’ll be returning to my previous schedule of blogging a few times a week from now on. I have so many other things to do and enjoy, especially with my daughter’s wedding just 6 weeks away. I’m also hoping to get back into my running soon as soon as my calf injury (and the physio) lets me.

Blogging everyday is great if you can do it and I take my hat off to those bloggers who are doing it really well.    I know I can do it it for a while but I also know now that I can’t sustain it.

And that’s OK with me!

Any thoughts?

PS. I am still going to make myself a book of my 100 days posts as per my original plan, it just won’t be as long!

One thought on “One foot in each camp!

1. September 20, 2015 at 9:56 pm

Well done anyway, 100 days is a real achievement!

• September 21, 2015 at 6:45 am

Thank you. I appreciate your kind words but I still have a niggle that I failed somehow.

2. September 20, 2015 at 10:06 pm

I totally agree with you. When you decide you’re going to blog once a day for an entire year about what is essentially one topic (even though you can go in many directions with that one topic) you limit yourself unless you keep more than one blog…one for that challenge and another for everything else. I blogged every day for a month once, as part of a challenge, but there was not one defined topic. So whatever came up went in the blog and I didn’t feel like I had missed other blog topics that I wanted to write about. Still…I also felt that since there was a blog every day, the important ones didn’t stay up long enough to be read and often got lost in the total volume of it all.

So I agree…blog when you have something you want to share, not because you’ve challenged yourself.

• September 21, 2015 at 6:47 am

Thanks so much for your comment Dawn, you make complete sense. That’s exactly what I was trying to say.

3. September 20, 2015 at 10:09 pm

I tried to do the 365 challenge on my other blog and screwed up near 250 or so one time. I post everyday as of this year a promise I made to myself but I find it is easier to talk about a picture for a post than to just write a post.

• September 21, 2015 at 6:49 am

Yes using pictures makes it easier but still time consuming. You did really well to get to 250! I’m glad I made the attempt anyway.

• September 21, 2015 at 7:41 am

If I am going to have a busy week, I will do a few post up ahead time pics and all and then all I have to do is hit the publish button. I have done this more than once lol.

4. September 21, 2015 at 9:26 am

A blog should be fun and if it’s not, forget it. It’s too easy to get sucked into what we think we should do. Glad you made the tough but right decision for yourself.

janet

• September 21, 2015 at 4:25 pm

I appreciate your thoughtful comment. Although I’m still having withdrawals I’m enjoying the freedom as well 😊

5. September 21, 2015 at 12:03 pm

I completely understand your point of view. It’s no fun when posting feels like an obligation rather than an outlet. At least that is what I think! 100 days is quite a feat.

• September 21, 2015 at 4:29 pm

Many thanks! I did enjoy it but knew it was going to get harder the longer I went. I’m glad I made it that far too.

6. September 22, 2015 at 12:42 am

I think you deserve a High Five for even attempting a post a day!! I truly admire bloggers who do, but that’s just not me. I don’t have the time to do it properly; there’s something called LIFE that beckons. Don’t beat yourself up over not making it to that 365-mark. You did great! Sounds like you did what you set out to do — you know now you *could* post every day, but you *choose* not to. That’s wisdom, you know!!

• September 22, 2015 at 8:57 pm

Thanks Debbie – that’s been a current them with the comments I’ve received. I have a very busy life as it is! I like your suggestion that I’ve gained some wisdom – 🙂

7. September 22, 2015 at 3:53 pm

Well done on completing 100 days. That is a major commitment. Enjoy blogging but also enjoy life. I look forward to your future posts, as and when you share them 🙂

• September 22, 2015 at 8:55 pm

Thanks! I am slowly getting used to not posting everyday. I know what you mean about it being a major commitment and I did enjoy it but think I made the right decision. Thanks again for your support.

8. September 28, 2015 at 6:38 am

I know how you feel and totally agree and support you. ❤