A whimsical edge – Weekly photo challenge

image

Ask anyone who knows me and they’ll tell you that I am scared of heights, hate edges and will often ‘freeze’ at the most inopportune moment.

An edge, a precipice, a narrow ridge – these are all things I really don’t like. I hate being close to the edge, climbing over rocks, cliffs, drops, narrow paths that wind up and down over mountainous passes, suspension bridges, jumping over gaps – get the drift?

And yet I have pushed myself to walk in the Himalayas in Nepal, along the Kokoda Track’s jungle ridges in Papua New Guinea, abseiled over cliffs, cycled along scary tracks and skied down steep slopes in Italy.

So it is good to share this edge photo for this week’s photo challenge  – it’s a softer focus edge shot,  as our driveway slowly gets covered in water from heavy rain.  It’s the actual edge of the driveway which is under flood, but it’s a whimsical take on the theme and an altogether less scary type of  edge.

Just to torture myself, here are two of my favourite edgy photos.  These are pictures of Cheddar Gorge in England’s South West. I couldn’t get too close to the edge so I took this photo looking back over towards the cliffs we had just walked around.

I love the natural lines and the rugged edges in these pictures.  If they could talk, I’m sure they’d tell us all a few stories of what they’ve seen over the years!

IMG_4883

Impressive cliffs of Cheddar Gorge

IMG_4884

I’m serious – move away from the edge!

I’m one of those people who tell complete strangers to move back if I think they are too close to the edge and I even feel myself leaning backwards when I see someone too close.  It’s weird I know but I can’t stop myself from doing it!

I had way more fun today when I put on my purple gumboots and splashed my way through the huge puddles and potholes on my driveway! I wrote a story about my purple gumboots a while back 🙂

In the meantime I’ll continue to face my fear of edges head on.

Deb

PS.  This post is based on a previous post where I talked about my fear of edges. I’ve used creative license to update and reblog an earlier post.  It is my blog after all!

One thought on “A whimsical edge – Weekly photo challenge

1. September 10, 2016 at 4:29 pm

Nice one Deb. You and I both, I will surely say the same and never move close to an edge. Even when far away, I get the feeling that I am falling.😂😂

• September 10, 2016 at 7:39 pm

I’m glad I’m not alone Mary! It’s getting worse as I get older too.

2. September 10, 2016 at 6:06 pm

great pictures Deb. I too dont like being too close to the edge – and my mother is worse. but, like you, just keep pushing forward in the face of difficulties.

what more can one do?

• September 10, 2016 at 7:40 pm

Exactly. I like to tell myself that it’s character building! Thanks for you visit and comment.

3. September 10, 2016 at 7:53 pm

It is your blog, and you make the rules, i agree. I love how your magical shot looks exotic and is just a driveway. Hysterical!

• September 10, 2016 at 7:57 pm

Thanks Louise, that thought crossed my mind too as I posted it. It is just tufts of grass on the edge of the driveway when all is said and done but it has turned out quite differently hasn’t it? I’m glad you understand 😊

4. September 10, 2016 at 7:56 pm

And a jolly good blog too, Deb! Your photo of the driveway puts me in mind of the opening sequence to an early eerie horror-type movie – in a good way, obviously!

• September 10, 2016 at 7:58 pm

Tom with all this rain around I feel like I’m in an eerie horror type movie! I appreciate your comment on my simple driveway offering, it appealed to me for some reason.

• September 10, 2016 at 8:01 pm

That’s the thing… it looks far more than just simple!

• September 10, 2016 at 8:04 pm

Believe me if you saw it you’d just laugh. But I dug deep and found my creative ‘eye’ and was quite pleased with the result.

• September 10, 2016 at 8:06 pm

That’s where having a good eye comes in – making the ordinary less ordinary! Good one, Deb! 🙂

5. September 10, 2016 at 9:19 pm

Come on Debbie you are still youngster(remark to Mary Job). Those edges make you alive!!

6. September 10, 2016 at 11:16 pm

I’d never be brave enough to stand by those edges….
    I’rather die than doing it!
    Congratulations fot your courage…and your post!

• September 11, 2016 at 7:56 am

Thanks so much! Facing fear is hard but gets the heart beating.

7. September 11, 2016 at 1:45 am

For someone who doesn’t like heights, you have managed to take a couple of impressively vertical photos. 🙂

• September 11, 2016 at 7:59 am

I know!! My heart was racing but I made myself do it. I’m a determined person and loved the walk we did and wanted to document it.

8. September 11, 2016 at 2:13 am

Lovely shots, Deb. I, too, am an extreme-edge-avoider, although I’ve also pushed myself Going up on the second story roof of our house to clean the roof was my big trial, which I met over and over.

janet

• September 11, 2016 at 7:59 am

Well done Janet! I can imagine your heart rate was off the dial each time.

• September 11, 2016 at 9:57 am

That it was. I moved around on my rear end for quite a few times before I felt comfortable enough to stand!

9. September 18, 2016 at 11:06 pm

Great post Deb, I can relate. I was much more of a dare devil when I was younger. Impressive photos and I especially love the drive way one. Has the water eased at all?

• September 19, 2016 at 6:07 pm

Yes it has eased up but we have more heavy rain forecast for later this week. We have had more than enough!! Thanks for comment on my photo and post, always love getting your comments 🙂

• September 19, 2016 at 6:14 pm

Yes, we don’t really need any more rain, do we? Take care.