Magic rocks – Weekly Photo Challenge

The Moeraki Boulders are magical

Magic is the prompt for this week’s photo challenge.  Look at these boulders on the beach at Moeraki and tell me they’re not magical!!

As has been the way during our holiday in New Zealand, we decided on a whim to pull in to have a look at these rocks, not expecting to be blown away with their beauty and awesomeness.

There was a gift shop and a cafe plus a donation box requesting $2 for those walking onto the beach to view the boulders. It was a wet windy afternoon so we sent my husband down first to see if it was worth the effort. He returned wet through but insisted we all go down onto the beach to see them. Which we did.

I was amazed to see many of these round rocks strewn along the beach, looking like something waiting to hatch in an episode of Doctor Who.

There are lots of theories about them but I prefer to believe in magic.

This was my favourite photo.

I’m in the process of writing up my travel blog of our New Zealand trip so if you’re interested feel free to check out some of my recent posts. It’s an awesome place to visit and we will definitely be back for more.

Deb

About me

One thought on “Magic rocks – Weekly Photo Challenge

1. November 19, 2016 at 4:45 pm

And there are seven in the photo. It must be magic.

2. November 19, 2016 at 6:51 pm

This is a gorgeous shot Deb. Hope you’re having (had) a great holiday.

• November 19, 2016 at 7:19 pm

Thanhs Su, it’s been fabulous. We will definitely be back!

3. November 19, 2016 at 7:04 pm

magical indeed Deb. hope you are safe and away from earthquake zone. enjoy the magic. 🙂

• November 19, 2016 at 7:20 pm

Thanks Deb, we are safe and enjoying this beautiful country.

4. November 19, 2016 at 10:04 pm

It’s not only the rocks that are magical, Deb – your photo is magical in itself! Fantastically magical, in fact!

• November 20, 2016 at 4:05 am

Thanks so much Tom for those kind words. I must admit I love it, it might be my favourite from the trip. I look forward to updating my travels once I get time and access.

5. November 20, 2016 at 12:18 am

Having returned from New Zealand one year ago, I look forward to your posts. I have many pictures I could share and might post some after each of yours. That might be fun.

• November 20, 2016 at 4:03 am

Great idea! It’s a lovely country and we will definitely return.

6. November 20, 2016 at 3:48 pm

Great shot…

• November 20, 2016 at 6:33 pm

Thanks! It’s my favourite so far.

7. November 21, 2016 at 2:09 pm

I saw this beautiful when you first posted and thought WOW. I am with you on the magical take. Are you back already?

• November 21, 2016 at 5:44 pm

Thanks Louise! Yes we are back but I’m still updating my blog stories. I really love this pic too. It was a great place to find.

8. November 21, 2016 at 11:15 pm

Wow, what an absolutely beautiful photo Deb. There’s definitely magic on that beach.

• November 22, 2016 at 6:46 am

I know! We kept stumbling into wonderful places and situations the whole trip. This one was just amazing!

9. November 24, 2016 at 11:46 am

Wow – definitely magical Deb.. What a fabulous time you’re having! Thanks for sharing the magic… xx

• November 24, 2016 at 1:51 pm

My pleasure Wendy. Thank you for reading my blog!! I love these rocks😊

• November 24, 2016 at 6:24 pm

They do look amazing… I’d love to visit New Zealand one day.. it’s on my vision board so it’s been lovely to read your ‘tour’ and see the sights.. You’ve transported me there instead! x

10. December 17, 2016 at 10:53 am

La magia y el misterio no las deja las magníficas fotos. Son excelente.

11. Gabi
    March 29, 2017 at 2:37 am

Sometimes nature is the best artist… It looks a sorceress lair. More I see about New Zeeland more I want to go : ) . Great picture, thanks for sharing!

• March 29, 2017 at 7:40 pm

Thanks for your lovely comment. We had a great time there and will definitely return.

12. July 10, 2017 at 12:22 am

It’s interesting which photos really leap out to you after you get back from a holiday. I really love this photo and recall seeing one that could well have been taken there, which looked like a row of large tortoises lined up along the beach, but wasn’t. I had a similar experience when I visited Monkey Mia many years ago to swim with the dolphins. However, what I remember most was floating along at Shell Beach. Here’s a link: http://www.australiascoralcoast.com/attractions-events/natural-wonders-of-the-coral-coast/shell-beach
    There’s even a church made out of this shell rock.
    Best wishes,
    Rowena

• July 10, 2017 at 1:54 pm

Thanks Rowena, it’s lovely to have you join in and I appreciate your comments. This was a great holiday and I really love the photo of these rocks. I’ve not been to Monkey Mia but I’ll be checking out your posts, never fear!

• July 11, 2017 at 12:29 am

I haven’t written about my time in WA and this link was to a tourist info site. There’s so much more to that area than the dolphins. Really interesting natural formations and vegetation.