This is not a kitchen sink, it’s a…..!

The Hundertwasser Toilets were bizarre toilets but this one in Waihi just made us laugh out loud!

I talked about the artistic Hundertwasser toilets in my previous Travel Tuesday (or maybe that should be Toilet Tuesday) post. I hasten to add that these Men’s toilets in Waihi were not in anyway artistic, quite the opposite in fact,  but they did make us laugh.  They also gave us a good story to tell when we returned home.

The Mathematician, and our travelling buddy Bob, seem to find the most interesting toilets whenever we’ve travelled in New Zealand.  For some reason they make it their mission to source “Toilets of Interest” and often come back from a visit to the Men’s room chortling and reaching for their cameras – yes to go back in and take a photo!! Here are just a few examples to whet your appetite:

• There was the great toilet at Glenorchy on the South Island that had the newspaper set up to read while conducting business – I never did get to see that one!
  • There were the many toilets that had hilarious posters and signs, artistic decor and just plain clever aspects that usually I missed seeing (for obvious reasons).

It’s now become such a habit that one of the first things they do in a new place is check out the toilets in case they have something to add to their portfolio! Don’t ask how old they are 🙂

Waihi train station

The first I knew of the nature of these toilets on the station at Waihi, was my husband calling loudly and at first I thought something was wrong – but no, he was trying not to laugh too hard.

The rawness, the honesty of the notice, the rusticness and simplicity had really captured his attention:

We could only wonder at what had happened to necessitate the need for this notice!

This is not a kitchen sink, it is a Men’s Urinal

Please do not warm food dishes in the urinal!

The train station itself was lovely, with a historic Goldfields train running regularly, a shop with historical information and a very helpful lady working hard to share the love of the area. We didn’t ask her about the men’s toilet sign but maybe we should have!

Hauraki Rail Trail

We were riding the Hauraki Rail Trail in the North island of New Zealand and the section from Paeroa to to Waihi, through the Karangahake Gorge, was a delightful day of cycling due to the amazing gorge, the green fields, the historical aspects along the way, the gentle undulations and the gorgeous sunny day, after a wet and windy start.

Unfortunately the track was undergoing maintenance at the time we were there so we didn’t get to ride back on the old train but we thoroughly enjoyed our ride nevertheless. The town of Waihi was another interesting place full of gold mining history.

You can read more about our cycling tour on the Hauraki Rail Trail in this post – What you need to know to cycle the beautiful Hauraki Rail Trail.

What ‘interesting toilets’ have you seen from your travels around the world? Why do you think they had to put up this sign in the first place?  Let’s start a conversation!!

Interesting toilets while travelling in New Zealand

You can also find Deb’s World here – come join me.

TwitterInstagramPinterestStumbleUponG+Facebook and Flipboard

One thought on “This is not a kitchen sink, it’s a…..!

1. January 16, 2018 at 1:23 pm

Haha – what an amazing find! 😀

Liked by 2 people

2. January 16, 2018 at 1:55 pm

Haha..your posts always make me smile Debs..we have some beauties here as well…not meant in the sense of beautiful maybe I should do a post on Thai Toilets( Hing Nam)…lol

• January 16, 2018 at 1:56 pm

Hong Nam even xx

• January 16, 2018 at 3:42 pm

Thanks Carol, I don’t mean to have this theme but it just happened! Glad you enjoy my posts and I can imagine you’d have some good stories to tell too 🙂

• January 16, 2018 at 3:44 pm

Oh yes indeed…have you tried to navigate a Thai Squat toilet when the only light you have is from your torch and you are in a wooden shack and not sure what other visitors of the flying and biting capacity are around???

• January 16, 2018 at 3:46 pm

Yes. I’ve done something similar in the jungles of Papua New Guinea…not one of my favourite moments I must say 🙂

• January 16, 2018 at 3:51 pm

I know Debbie…lol…an experience shall we say I for one will be glad when this house is built I may visit more often then and not the Hong Nam..lol

• January 25, 2018 at 7:51 am

I think you should!

3. January 16, 2018 at 2:26 pm

I was an au pair girl in Paris after high school. My room was on the top floor of an old apartment building with the rest of the servants, and we all had to share a Turkish toilet. Nothing but a hole in the ground with two foot markers flanking it. It was just as disgusting as it sounds! 😄

4. January 16, 2018 at 3:20 pm

Oh dear! lol!

5. www.retirementreflections.com
    January 16, 2018 at 4:01 pm

Hi, Debbie – That ‘Kitchen Sink’ toilet made me laugh out loud!
    Even though I have traveled fairly extensively, I have never really paid attention to toilets…or photographed them. You have now inspired me to pay more attention!

• January 16, 2018 at 4:16 pm

Ha! 🙂 thanks Donna, so pleased to know I’ve now inspired you and made you laugh out loud 🙂

6. leannelc
    January 16, 2018 at 4:54 pm

My mind boggles at the thought of what had gone on in there before they felt the need to put up a notice. I’d probably have to have it explained to me too – it didn’t look like any of the few urinals I’ve had the pleasure of seeing!

• January 16, 2018 at 5:34 pm

Exactly our thoughts Leanne! It certainly doesn’t look like the average urinal I’ve ever seen either.

7. January 16, 2018 at 4:55 pm

Sounds like you all had such a hoot in NZ. As for that loo, OMG, don’t tell me someone thought it was a bbq. The mind boggles lol 😏

• January 16, 2018 at 5:33 pm

The mind boggles Miriam!! Goodness knows what they thought it was. You’re right, we had a hoot in New Zealand finding places to enjoy and experiencing different sights. This was just one of them 😊

8. January 16, 2018 at 5:28 pm

LOL. Still smiling.

9. January 16, 2018 at 9:03 pm

OMG. I really can’t (or don’t want to) imagine what necessitated that sign.

10. January 16, 2018 at 9:19 pm

Omg…I had to look twice and reread that sign!!Who knows what has taken place in that urinal!!! 😉

11. January 17, 2018 at 9:28 am

When we went to England with a group of friends all the men were fascinated with the plumbing, including the toilets. Haha! I’ve got to start taking photos of interesting bathrooms.

12. January 23, 2018 at 2:14 am

Here’s a sign I took a photo of a few years ago while visiting the facilities at an old English country Inn, Deb

I never asked what it was about, but maybe you can throw some light? 😀

13. March 9, 2018 at 4:51 am

I used to go to the toilet wherever we went as a family when i was younger. I used to tell my parents about how good or bad they were. Over time they were asking me for ratings and even went so far as to start calling me “The toilet Inspector” Best toilet ever was at a restaurant in Hamburg. 10 out of 10 easy.

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

w